The Research Excellence Framework (REF 2014) at SOAS
The Research Excellence Framework (REF 2014) is an assessment exercise carried out every 6-7 years by the UK Government to gauge the quality of research carried out in UK Higher Education Institutions. In common with other research-intensive universities in the UK, a large majority of SOAS researchers have been included in our submission, which was made in November 2013. The results will be published in December 2014.
The SOAS submission to REF 2014 was made to the following sub-panels:
- Business and Management Studies (Unit of Assessment 19)
- Law (UoA 20)
- Politics and International Studies (UoA 21)
- Anthropology and Development Studies (UoA 24a and UoA 24b)
- Area Studies (UoA 27)
- Modern Languages and Linguistics (UoA 28)
- History (UoA 30)
- Theology and Religious Studies (UoA 33)
- Art and Design: History, Practice and Theory (UoA 34)
- Music (UoA 35).
Our submission involves around 1,000 items of publication across the School, as well as over thirty case studies of how our research has achieved impact beyond academia. These include impacts on public understanding and public policy, as well as specific fields of practice such as museum curation, language preservation, the production of films, TV documentaries and novels, and civil society campaigns.
More details on our submission, and our impact case studies, will be made available in due course.