[skip to content]

Registry

Professional and Career Development Loans

Overview

A Professional and Career Development Loan (PCDL) is a bank loan for UK students designed to help you pay for your degree. The loan can be used to pay for tuition fees as well as living costs. Repayments start one month after the end of the loan period.

You can apply to borrow between £300 and £10,000 to pay for up to 2 years of a degree. The bank will approve your loan according to your credit rating as this is a loan arrangement with a bank, they will need to be satisfied that you will be able to pay the money back.

How to apply

You should prepare and begin to apply 3 months before your course starts to give the bank enough time to process your application. You will need to contact the relevant bank regarding the application form and their specific procedures.

The course dates for academic year 2014-15 are 22nd September 2014 to 15th September 2015 for funding purposes.

Further information about professional and career development loans. The School's Learner Provider Number is 2484.

The National Careers Service (0800 100 900) provides information, advice and guidance to help learners make decisions on learning, training and work opportunities. The service offers confidential, helpful and impartial advice, supported by qualified careers advisers, on the funding options available to you.

PCDL and SOAS

  • Paper application forms will need to be stamped and completed by the SOAS Registry Fees Team. Please post your forms to:

Student Loans Officer
Registry
SOAS
Thornhaugh Street
Russell Square
London
WC1H 0XG

We will then post the form directly back to you so you are in control of your application to the bank.

  • The PCDL normally pays 80% of your tuition fees. You will need to ensure that you pay the remaining 20% at or before enrolment.
  • You should bring your Course Start Notification with you to enrolment. This will need to be completed by the Student Loans Officer before any money is paid to you or to SOAS. Please ensure you enter the correct course dates as listed above.
  • You should apply for your loan before the start of the course and bring confirmation of the loan and the dates when they will pay your fees to enrolment.  If you apply for the loan after enrolment you will need to pay your tuition fees at enrolment and we will refund the payment when we receive the PCDL confirmation.

Please contact the Student Loans Officer at funding@soas.ac.uk if you have any further questions.