US Loan Satisfactory Academic Progress
Degree students at SOAS are enrolled on year long courses with examinations in May and, for completing Master’s students, dissertations submitted in September.
BA, BSc, LLB students: must pass each year satisfactorily to progress to the next year and must complete their degree within 2 years of completing their studies. Students may re-take failed course units twice. The equivalent pass mark Grade C is 40%.
MA, MSc, LLM students: may re-take failed course units once and must complete their degree within 2 years of completing their studies. The equivalent pass mark Grade C is 50%.
Research Degree students must be approved by their supervisor for progression to the next academic year.
Students who are not progressing satisfactorily are reported by their Faculty Office to the Registry.
1. Students must enrol in-person at the beginning of the academic year to receive the first loan disbursements.
2. To receive the second disbursements in January and the third disbursements in April the student must be:
• in continued full or half-time enrolment
• in academic good standing and not have been reported to the Registry as defaulted.
3. To receive a new loan in a subsequent academic year the student must:
• have successfully completed the preceding academic year or be eligible to retake the year and attend classes
• be in good academic standing and not to have any outstanding fee debts.
Students who are resubmitting work or resitting examinations but are not in attendance are not eligible for Federal loans.
This is a summary of the regulations in relation to eligibility for and disbursement of US Federal and private loans. For the full regulations for your degree please see Degree Regulations.