AKS Postgraduate Bursaries
Deadline: 1 May 2015
The Academy of Korean Studies (AKS) has generously provided SOAS up to five bursaries for students undertaking a full-time postgraduate Korean Studies programme. The value of each bursary is £6,000 maximum and may only be used towards the cost of tuition fees. Living costs are not available as part of the award. The duration of the bursary is for one year.
Important information for MPhil/PhD candidates
The AKS bursary is for one year only and is not renewable. Candidates undertaking an MPhil/ PhD may reapply but please note that priority will be given to new applicants.
Preference will be given to applicants on the following FULL TIME programmes of study (new admissions, starting in September 2015):
- MA Korean Studies
- MA Korean Literature
- MPhil/PhD Korean Studies Research (new admissions, starting in September 2015)
- MA History of Art (students taking three units, including dissertation, in Korea-related subjects)
Applicants on the following programmes of study may also apply, but will not be given preference:
- Current MPhil/ PhD Korean Studies Research FULL TIME students
- Students undertaking any other postgraduate degree related to Korean Studies
- Open to UK/EU and overseas applicants
- Applicants must have an offer of admission to the degree programme by the scholarship application deadline.
- Applicants must meet the English language condition of their offer of admission to study at SOAS as soon as possible but no later than 1 June 2015. If your offer is conditional on English, please arrange your English test and ensure you meet the English requirements as soon as possible.
- Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by a Selection Panel consisting of three academic members from the Centre of Korean Studies
Scholarship Application Deadline
- Scholarship applications must be received no later than 17:00 (UK local time) on 1 May 2015.
- New applicants only (new admissions, starting in September 2015): You must ALSO submit a complete online application to your programme as soon as possible and then submit an application for the scholarship. Applicants applying for scholarships must also submit an application for admission well in advance. Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Number of applications normally received
Notification of Results
Successful candidates will be notified by the end of July. If you have not heard from us by the end of July, you should assume that your application was unsuccessful.
Scholarship Application Procedures
Applicants should follow the following steps:
STEP 1: Applicants must apply for this scholarship via the on-line scholarship application form.
Current SOAS MPhil/PhD students only: In addition to the on-line scholarship application form, you will also need two references. Please send the reference form to each of your referees together with a copy of your completed scholarship application form. The reference form may be downloaded from the box at the top right.
STEP 2: In addition to the online scholarship application, new applicants only (new admissions, starting in September 2015), must submit a COMPLETE on-line application for admission.
Applicants must have an offer of admission at SOAS by the scholarship application deadline. A complete application for admission includes transcripts, an explanation of the grading system for any degrees obtained outside of the UK, two references, CV, and a personal statement. (In addition to this, MPhil/PHD applicants must also submit a research proposal). The panel will be considering your scholarship application TOGETHER with with your online application for admission. Please note that complete application for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
For enquiries, please contact:
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5091/5094
If you have any questions about the bursary application, please contact the Scholarships Officer. For information about Korean Studies at SOAS, please contact Professor Jae Hoon Yeon (email@example.com) or Dr Anders Karlsson (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the Centre for Korean Studies. Please do not contact these academics with questions related to the scholarship.