Felix Non- Indian Scholarship
Deadline: 30 January 2015
One Felix Scholarship will be available to a Non-Indian student who is a citizen of and living in a developing country to pursue a research degree at SOAS. The scholarship covers the cost of tuition fees at the international rate and provides around £13,458 for living expenses.
- Any full-time MPhil/PhD programme
- Part-time programmes are not eligible.
- Must be Non-Indian citizens of a developing country, not currently be living or studying outside of that country and who have not previously studied for one year or more outside of that country
- Demonstrate financial need
- Possess a first-class honours degree and a good Masters degree from a university or comparable institution
- Candidates who already hold a degree from a university outside their country are not eligible to apply.
- Open to applicants paying fees at the Overseas rate only
- Graduates are expected to return to work in their home country
- Applicants must have an offer of admission to a research degree programme at SOAS by the scholarship application deadline.
- Applicants must meet the English language condition of their offer of admission to study at SOAS as soon as possible but no later than 1 June 2015. If your offer is conditional on English, please arrange your English test and ensure you meet the English requirements as soon as possible.
- Candidates will be assessed on academic merit. The assessment of your application will be based on the information provided in your scholarship application and in your on-line application for admission. Selectors will be looking at the degree results and also at academic references, statement, research proposal and other relevant information. Felix Trustees will also take into consideration financial need.
- Only those who have been accepted for admission will be considered for short listing by the SOAS Selection Panel.
Scholarship Application Deadline
- Scholarship applications must be received no later than 17:00 (UK local time) on 30 January 2015.
- You must submit a complete online application to your programme as soon as possible and then submit an application for the scholarship. Applicants applying for scholarships must also submit an application for admission well in advance. Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Notification of Results
In April, the Scholarships Office will notify those who have been shortlisted by the SOAS Selection Panel. Shortlisted applications will be put forward to Felix Scholarship Trust for final consideration.
Successful candidates will be notified of the outcome by the end of June. If you have not had a response to your application by the end of June, you should assume that your application was unsuccessful.
Scholarship Application Procedures
You must follow two steps:
- STEP 1: Apply for your programme
Applicants must submit a COMPLETE on-line application for admission.
Applicants must have an offer of admission to a Research degree programme at SOAS by the scholarship application deadline. A complete application for admission includes transcripts, an explanation of the grading system for any degrees obtained outside of the UK, two references, CV, research proposal and a personal statement. The panel will be considering your scholarship application TOGETHER with with your online application for admission. Please note that complete application for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
- STEP 2: Apply for the scholarship
You must apply for this scholarship via the on-line scholarship application form.
If you are applying for a research programme in the Faculty of Arts and Humanities, please apply for this scholarship via the Faculty of Arts and Humanities on-line scholarship application form.
If you are applying for a research programme in the Faculty of Languages and Culture, please apply for this scholarship via the Faculty of Language and Cultures on-line scholarship application form.
If you are applying for a research programme in the Faculty of Law and Social Sciences, please apply for this scholarship via the Faculty of Law and Social Sciences on-line scholarship application form.
For enquiries, please contact:
SOAS, University of London
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5094/5091
About the donor
The donor for the Felix Scholarship wishes to remain anonymous. The administration of the Scholarship is conducted by the three partner universities (SOAS, University of Oxford and University of Reading), with the support of the Felix Trustees and their agents in London.
The Felix scholarships now have their own website http://www.felixscholarship.org , which provides information on the Scholarships, and allows Felix alumni to stay in touch.