HSBC SOAS Scholarships
Deadline: 24 February 2016
HSBC has generously provided two scholarships for post-graduate students undertaking either the full-time MA Sinology or MA Chinese Literature programmes. Each scholarship is valued at £23,000 in total for 2016-17. Fees will be deducted from this amount and the remainder will be used toward maintenance. In addition, each scholar will benefit from a 20% reduction in their tuition fees.
- Possess a good honours degree, preferably first-class, from a UK institution or overseas equivalent.
- These scholarships provide opportunities for students continuing to postgraduate study to deepen their knowledge of Chinese language and culture. Preference will be given to students who will complete their undergraduate programme by 30 August 2016 or have completed their undergraduate programmes within the past two years.
- Open to applicants paying fees at the UK/EU rate only
- The scholarship cannot be held along with any other major scholarship or studentship.
- Applicants must have an offer of admission to pursue one of the eligible full-time masters programmes at SOAS by the scholarship application deadline.
- Applicants must meet the English language condition of their offer of admission to study at SOAS as soon as possible but no later than 1 June 2016. If your offer is conditional on English, please arrange your English test and ensure you meet the English requirements as soon as possible.
- Applicants should describe in their personal statement of their admission application:
- their background,
- how this scholarship will make a difference to them and
- what they will use the qualification to go on to do.
- Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by a Selection Panel consisting of three academic members from the Department of the Language and Cultures of China and Inner Asia.
- The assessment of your application will be based on the information provided in your scholarship application and in your on-line admission application for admission. Selectors will be looking at the degree results and also at academic references, statement and other relevant information.
- Successful candidates must agree to attend the HSBC Scholars' Day (dates to be announced in due course).
Scholarship Application Deadline
- Scholarship applications must be received no later than 17:00 (UK Local time) on 24 February 2016.
- In order to be considered for these scholarships, you must ALSO submit a complete online application to your programme as soon as possible and then submit an application for the scholarship. Applicants applying for scholarships must also submit an application for admission well in advance. Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should prepare to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered
Number of applications normally received
Notification of Results
Successful candidates will be notified by end-June. If you have not heard from us by end-June, you should assume that your application was unsuccessful.
Scholarship Application Procedures
You must follow two steps:
- STEP 1: Apply for your programme
Applicants must submit a COMPLETE on-line application for admission.
Applicants must have an offer of admission to one of the eligible degree programme at SOAS by the scholarship application deadline. A complete application for admission includes transcripts, an explanation of the grading system for any degrees obtained outside of the UK, two references, CV and a personal statement. The panel will be considering your scholarship application TOGETHER with your online application for admission. Please note that complete application for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
- STEP 2: Apply for the scholarship
Please apply for this scholarship via this on-line scholarship application form.
For enquiries, please contact:
SOAS, University of London
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5094/5091