HSBC SOAS Scholarships
Deadline: 20 March 2014
HSBC has generously provided two scholarships for post-graduate students undertaking either the full-time MA Sinology or MA Chinese Literature programmes. Each scholarship is valued at £16,650 in total. Fees at the UK/EU rate will be deducted from this amount and the remainder can be used toward maintenance.
- full-time MA Sinology
- full-time MA Chinese Literature
- part-time programmes are not eligible.
- Age 25 years or younger at the start of the Masters course
- Possess a good honours degree, preferably first-class, from a UK institution or overseas equivalent.
- Open to applicants paying fees at the UK/EU rate only
- The scholarship cannot be held along with any other major scholarship or studentship.
- Applicants must have an offer of admission to pursue one of the eligible full-time masters programmes at SOAS by the scholarship application deadline.
- Applicants must meet the English language condition of their offer of admission to study at SOAS as soon as possible but no later than 1 June 2014. If your offer is conditional on English, please arrange your English test and ensure you meet the English requirements as soon as possible.
- Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by a Selection Panel consisting of three academic members from the Department of the Language and Cultures of China and Inner Asia.
- The assessment of your application will be based on the information provided in your scholarship application and in your on-line admission application for admission. Selectors will be looking at the degree results and also at academic references, statement and other relevant information.
- Successful candidates must agree to attend the HSBC Scholars' Day (dates to be announced in due course).
Scholarship Application Deadline
- Scholarship applications must be received no later than 17:00 (UK Local time) on 20 March 2014.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Applicants applying for scholarships must also submit an application for admission well in advance. Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
Number of applications normally received
Notification of Results
Successful candidates will be notified by the end of July. If you have not heard from us by the end of July, you should assume that your application was unsuccessful.
Scholarship Application Procedures
You must follow two steps:
- STEP 1: You must apply for this scholarship via the on-line scholarship application form.
- STEP 2: In addition to the online scholarship application, applicants must ALSO submit a COMPLETE on-line application for admission.
A complete application for admission includes transcripts, an explanation of the grading system for any degrees obtained outside of the UK, two references, CV and a personal statement. The panel will be considering your scholarship application TOGETHER with your on-line application for admission. Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of the year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
For enquiries, please contact:
SOAS, University of London
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5094/5091