Kamran Djam Scholarships
Deadline: 3 May 2016
Thanks to the generosity of the Fereydoun Djam Charitable Trust there are a number of Kamran Djam scholarships available for UK/EU and Overseas fee-paying SOAS students, providing a contribution towards fees of up to a maximum of £13,000 each year for the duration of the award. The MPhil/PhD scholarship is paid for 3 years. The MA is paid for one year (or two years if part-time). The Undergraduate scholarship is paid for one year.
- SOAS undergraduates entering their final year in 2016/17, studying BA Persian.
- SOAS undergraduates entering their final year in 2016/17, studying BA Persian and another subject.
- Full-time or part-time MA Iranian Studies starting in 2016/17.
- Full-time MPhil PhD (new admissions only, starting in September 2016) in the following subject areas: Persian Language, Persian Literature, Iranian History starting in 2016/17.
- Applicants for the BA scholarships must expect to be awarded a first class Honours Degree. Applicants who expect an upper second class degree may also apply, but will not be given preference.
- Applicants for the MA Scholarships must possess or expect to be awarded a First Class Honours Degree or equivalent. Applicants with a non UK masters degree must be in the top rank as evidenced by references and transcripts. Applicants with a 2.1 may also apply but will not be given preference.
- Applicants for the MPhil/PhD scholarships must possess or expect to be awarded a masters degree with a mark of Distinction from a UK university. Applicants with a non UK masters degree must be in the top rank as evidenced by references and transcripts. Applicants with a mark of merit may also apply but will not be given preference.
- Applicants for the MPhil/PhD scholarships must have demonstrated in the research proposal of their application for admission that their research is in one of the following subject areas: Persian Language, Persian Literature, Iranian History
- The scholarship is open to UK/EU and overseas fee-paying full time students.
- In order to be considered for the MPhil/PhD & MA scholarships, applicants must have an offer of admission to a Research programme or to the MA Iranian Studies at SOAS by the scholarship application deadline.
- Applicants must meet the English language condition of their offer of admission to study at SOAS as soon as possible but no later than 1 June 2016. If your offer is conditional on English, please arrange your English test and ensure you meet the English requirements as soon as possible.
- Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by a Selection Panel consisting of three academic members.
- The assessment will be based on the information in your application. Selectors will be looking at degree results, academic references, statement of intent and full research proposal (for MPhil/PhD applicants), and other relevant information.
Notification of Results
Successful candidates will be notified by the end of July. If you have not heard from us by the end of July, you should assume that your application was unsuccessful.
Scholarship application deadline
- Scholarship applications must be received no later than 17:00 (UK local time) on 3 May 2016.
- In order to be considered for the MPhil/PhD & MA scholarships, you must ALSO submit a complete online application to your programme as soon as possible and then submit an application for the scholarship. Applicants applying for scholarships must also submit an application for admission well in advance. Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should prepare to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered
Scholarship Application Procedures
Applicants should follow the following steps:
STEP 1: Applicants must apply for this scholarship via this on-line scholarship application form.
Applicants for the BA scholarships only: In addition to the on-line scholarship application form, you will also need two references. Please send the reference form to each of your referees together with a copy of your completed scholarship application form. The reference form may be downloaded from the box at the top right of this page.
STEP 2: In addition to the online scholarship application, applicants for the MPhil/PhD and MA scholarships only must submit a COMPLETE on-line application for admission.
A complete application for admission includes transcripts, an explanation of the grading system for any degrees obtained outside of the UK, two references, CV and a personal statement. In addition to this, MPhil/PHD applicants must submit research proposal. The panel will be considering your scholarship application TOGETHER with your online application for admission. Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
For enquiries, please contact:
SOAS, University of London
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5091/ 5094