Kayoko Tsuda Bursary (Japanese Studies)
Deadline: 23 May 2014
The Japan Research Centre (JRC) is pleased to invite applications to the bursary created through the generosity of Ms Kayoko Tsuda.
There is one bursary of £7,000 (untaxed) to be be paid in three instalments: £3,000 at the beginning of Term 1, £3,000 at the beginning of Term 2, and £1,000 once the applicant’s supervisor informs the Chair of the JRC that the thesis is complete (in the event on non-completion during tenure of the Bursary, this final payment will be withheld).
- PhD degrees at SOAS involving any aspect of Japanese Studies
- Applicants may be of any nationality and in need of the bursary to fund completion of their thesis.
- The bursary is for full-time or part-time PhD students who will submit the thesis before the end of the academic session 2014/15. It is expected that the student who gets awarded this bursary will be enrolled on Extension of Writing up (continuation) status during the academic session 2014/15. Students on Extension of Writing-up status are required to submit the thesis for examination within a maximum of three terms or within the students prescribed SOAS deadline (whichever is sooner).
- Those working on any aspect of Japanese studies are eligible.
- Candidates will be assessed based on a combination of financial need and academic merit.
- Selection will be made by the Steering Committee of the JRC.
The successful applicant will be expected to:
- Submit a high resolution personal photo and introductory paragraph about their research (about 200 words) in June 2014 which may be published on the JRC web page.
- Give a JRC seminar in the week following the Annual Tsuda Lecture (normally the 7th week of Term 2);
- Submit a final report in May 2015 (about 300 words) which will be published in the ‘JRC Annual Review' and on the JRC web page.
Scholarship Application Deadline
- Complete scholarship applications must be received no later than 5 pm (UK time) on Friday, 23 May 2014.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Notification of Results
Successful candidates will be notified by the end of July. If you have not heard from us by the end of July, you should assume that your application was unsuccessful.
Scholarship Application Procedures
A scholarship application form is available for download from the download box at the top right or can be obtained from:
The Scholarships Officer
SOAS, University of London
Telephone: (+44) 020 7074 5094/5091