Meiji Jingu Japanese Studies Research Scholarships
Deadline: 23 May 2014
There are two Meiji Jingu Japanese Studies Research Scholarships available. Each scholarship is valued at £7,000 in total.
Scholarships are for one year only, but it is possible to reapply if an award recipient has demonstrated outstanding potential for research. Please note that this scholarship cannot be held during the Extension of Writing-Up (Continuation) status.
- Any full-time MPhil/PhD programme where the student will be working on some aspect of Japanese Studies.
- Part-time programmes are not eligible.
- Open to UK/EU and Overseas applicants
- Current PhD students at SOAS, or newly enrolling full-time MPhil students with an offer of admission are eligible. Newly enrolling MPhil students will be given preference.
- Applicant must possess an MA degree from SOAS or an equivalent institution in a relevant subject.
- Candidates must have an offer of admission by the scholarship deadline of 23 May 2014.
- MPhil candidates will be assessed on academic merit and the strength of their proposal.
- PhD candidates will be assessed on academic merit, the results of their research during the previous year and proposal.
- Some consideration will be given to financial need.
Scholarship Application Deadline
- Scholarship Applications must be received no later than 17:00 (UK local time) on 23 May 2014.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Unless you are a current SOAS MPhil/PhD student, you must submit a COMPLETE on-line application for admission for a MPhil/PHD at least 4-6 weeks before the scholarship deadline of 23 May 2014 so that you have an offer of admission by the scholarship deadline of 23 May 2014. A complete application for admission includes transcripts, an explanation of the grading system for any degrees obtained outside of the UK, two references, CV and research proposal and a personal statement.
- It is important that your referees comment on your skill in Japanese in the areas of reading, composition and speaking.
- The panel will be considering your scholarship application TOGETHER with with your online application for admission. Late or incomplete online applications for admission will not be considered for scholarships.
Number of applications normally received
Notification of Results
Successful candidates will be notified by the end of July. If you have not heard from us by the end of July, you should assume that your application was unsuccessful.
Scholarship Application Procedures
You can apply for this scholarship via the online scholarship application form.
Current SOAS MPhil/PhD students only: You will need two references, one should be from your supervisor. Please send the reference form to each of your referees. The Meiji Jingu reference form may be downloaded from the box at the top right or can be obtained from:
SOAS, University of London
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5094/5091