V P Kanitkar Memorial Scholarships
Deadline: 20 March 2014
Two V P Kanitkar Memorial Scholarships are available for post-graduate students undertaking either the full-time MA Social Anthropology or the MA Religions of Asia & Africa. Each scholarship covers the cost of tuition fees and provides a maintenance of £16,000.
- the full-time MA Religions of Asia & Africa with a dissertation in Hinduism (Department of the Study of Religions)
- the full-time MA Social Anthropology with a dissertation in Hindu Culture in South Asia (Department of Anthropology & Sociology)
- Part-time programmes are not eligible.
- Applicants must normally possess or expect to be awarded a First Class Honours Degree or equivalent. Applicants with upper second class level may also apply, but will not be given preference. Students with a non-UK degree will be assessed on the basis of their references and transcripts.
- The scholarship recipients must choose as many units as possible relevant to Hinduism and also write their dissertation on Hinduism. Applicants undertaking the MA Religions of Asia & African are required to write their dissertation in Hinduism and those undertaking the MA Social Anthropology in Hindu Culture in South Asia. Please include evidence of this in your statement.
- Applicants must have an offer of admission to pursue the full-time MA Social Anthropology or MA Religions of Asia & Africa at SOAS by the scholarship application deadline.
- Applicants must meet the English language condition of their offer of admission to study at SOAS as soon as possible but no later than 1 June 2014. If your offer is conditional on English, please arrange your English test and ensure you meet the English requirements as soon as possible.
- This scholarship is open to UK/EU and overseas applicants.
- Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by a Selection Panel consisting of three academic members from the Faculty.
- The assessment of your application will be based on the information provided in your scholarship application and in your on-line application for admission. Selectors will be looking at the degree results and also at academic references, statement and other relevant information. Also, evidence on how your dissertation will be on Hinduism will be taken into consideration.
Scholarship Application Deadline
- Applications must be received no later than 17:00 (UK local time) on 20 March 2014.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Applicants applying for scholarships must also submit an application for a place well in advance. Please note that complete applications for a place to study can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
Notification of Results
Successful candidates will be notified by the end of July. If you have not heard from us by the end of July, you should assume that your application was unsuccessful.
Scholarship Application Procedures
You should follow two steps:
- STEP 1: You must apply for this scholarship via the on-line scholarship application form.
- STEP 2: In addition to the online scholarship application, applicants must ALSO submit a COMPLETE on-line application for admission.
A complete application for admission includes transcripts, an explanation of the grading system for any degrees obtained outside of the UK, two references, CV and a personal statement. The panel will be considering your scholarship application TOGETHER with your on-line application for admission. Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of the year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
For enquiries, please contact:
SOAS, University of London
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5094/5091