V P Kanitkar Memorial Scholarships
Deadline: 30 January 2015
Two V P Kanitkar Memorial Scholarships are available for post-graduate students undertaking either the full-time MPhil/PHD in Anthropology with reference to Hindu Culture in South Asia (Department of Anthropology and Sociology) or the full-time MPhil/PhD in Hinduism (Department of the Study of Religions). Each scholarship covers the cost of tuition fees and provides a maintenance of £16,000.
Subject to satisfactory progress, the scholarship may be renewed for the normal duration of a full-time student's registration. The normal duration of a full-time student's registration for a research degree is three years. The award is therefore renewable for up to a further two years.
- the full-time MPhil/PHD in Anthropology with reference to Hindu Culture in South Asia (in the Department of Anthropology and Sociology)
- the full-time MPhil/PhD in Hinduism (in the Department of the Study of Religions).
- Only new research students starting the MPhil/PhD in September 2015 may apply: those already enrolled on a research degree programme at SOAS are not eligible to apply.
- Part-time programmes are not eligible.
- Applicants must possess or expect to be awarded a Distinction in their Masters Degree from a UK university. Applicants with a non-UK degree to be adjudged in the top rank by their referees and transcript. Applicants with a mark of merit may also apply but will not be given preference.
- Please ensure you provide evidence in the research proposal of your admission application on how your proposed topic is on Hindu culture in South Asian from an anthropological perspective OR on Hinduism.
- Applicants must have an offer of admission to pursue the full-time MPhil/PHD in Anthropology with reference to Hindu Culture in South Asia (in the Department of Anthropology and Sociology) OR the full-time MPhil/PhD in Hinduism (in the Department of the Study of Religions) by the scholarship application deadline.
- Applicants must meet the English language condition of their offer of admission to study at SOAS as soon as possible but no later than 1 June 2015. If your offer is conditional on English, please arrange your English test and ensure you meet the English requirements as soon as possible.
- This scholarship is open to UK/EU and overseas applicants.
- Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by a Selection Panel consisting of three academic members from the Faculty.
- The assessment of your application will be based on the information provided in your scholarship application and in your on-line application for admission. Selectors will be looking at the degree results and also at academic references, statement and other relevant information. Also, evidence on how your proposed topic is on Hindu culture in South Asian from an anthropological perspective OR on Hinduism will be taken into consideration.
Scholarship Application Deadline
- Applications must be received no later than 17:00 (UK local time) on 30 January 2015.
- You must ALSO submit a complete online application to your programme as soon as possible and then submit an application for the scholarship. Applicants applying for scholarships must also submit an application for admission well in advance. Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should prepare to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Notification of Results
Successful candidates will be notified by the end of June. If you have not heard from us by the end of June, you should assume that your application was unsuccessful.
Scholarship Application Procedures
You should follow two steps:
- STEP 1: Apply for your programme
Applicants must submit a COMPLETE on-line application for admission.
Applicants must have an offer of admission to one of the eligible MPhil/PhD degree programmes by the scholarship application deadline. A complete application for admission includes transcripts, an explanation of the grading system for any degrees obtained outside of the UK, two references, CV, research proposal and a personal statement. The panel will be considering your scholarship application TOGETHER with with your online application for admission. Please note that complete application for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
- STEP 2: Apply for the scholarship
You must apply for this scholarship via the on-line scholarship application form.
For enquiries, please contact:
SOAS, University of London
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5094/5091