SOAS Research Studentships
Deadline: 31 January 2014
Fourteen studentships (four for the Faculty of Arts and Humanities, four for the Faculty of Language and Cultures and six for the Faculty of Law and Social Sciences) are available for students who are proposing to register full-time for a research degree at SOAS. The SOAS Research Studentships provide remission of tuition fees at the Home/EU rate and a maintenance allowance of at least £15,726. For students paying the higher (overseas) tuition fees, the remaining tuition fees payable will normally be deducted from the maintenance allowance.
Subject to satisfactory progress, the scholarship may be renewed for the normal duration of a full-time student’s registration. The normal duration of a full-time student’s registration for a research degree is three years. The award is therefore renewable for up to a further two years.
- Any full-time MPhil/PhD programme (new admissions only).
- Part-time programmes are not eligible.
- Applicants must possess or expect to be awarded a Distinction in their Masters Degree from a UK university. Applicants with a non-UK degree to be adjudged in the top rank by their referees and transcript.
- Only new research students may apply: those already enrolled on a research degree programme at SOAS are not eligible to apply.
- Applicants must have an offer of admission to a Research degree programme at SOAS by the scholarship application deadline.
- Candidates currently completing a Masters degree are welcome to apply.
- Open to Home/EU and overseas applicants.
- Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by a Selection Panel consisting of three academic members.
- The assessment of your application will be based on the information provided in your application and in your on-line application for admission. Selectors will be looking at the degree results and also at academic references, statement and other relevant information.
Scholarship Application Deadline
- Scholarship applications must be received no later than 17:00 (UK local time) on 31 January 2014.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Applicants applying for scholarships must also submit an application for admission well in advance. Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
Notification of Results
Successful candidates will be notified by the end of June. If you have not heard from us by the end of June, you should assume your application was unsuccessful.
Scholarship Application Procedures
You must follow two steps:
- STEP 1: You must apply for this scholarship via the on-line scholarship application form.
If you are applying for a research programme in the Faculty of Arts and Humanities, please apply for this scholarship via the Faculty of Arts and Humanities on-line scholarship application form.
If you are applying for a research programme in the Faculty of Languages and Culture, please apply for this scholarship via the Faculty of Language and Cultures on-line scholarship application form.
If you are applying for a research programme in the Faculty of Law and Social Sciences, please apply for this scholarship via the Faculty of Law and Social Sciences on-line scholarship application form.
- STEP 2: In addition to the online scholarship application, applicants must ALSO submit a COMPLETE on-line application for admission.
A complete application for admission includes transcripts, an explanation of the grading system for any degrees obtained outside of the UK, two references, CV, research proposal and a personal statement. The panel will be considering your scholarship application TOGETHER with your online application for admission. Please note that complete application for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
For enquiries, please contact:
SOAS, University of London
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5094/5091