The Swire Scholarship in Chinese History
Deadline: 31 January 2014
There is one scholarships available for research applicants whose proposed research topic is on Chinese History with a focus on the intensifying encounter - economic or otherwise - between China and the West during the second half of the nineteenth century/early twentieth century.
For applicants classified as Overseas for fee purpose, the total value of the scholarship will be £23,625 per year for up to 3 years subject to satisfactory progress. For applicants classified as Home/EU for fee purposes, the total value of the scholarship will be £15,345 per year for up to 3 years subject to satisfactory progress.
- Any full-time MPhil/PhD (new admissions only) whose Proposed Research Topic is on Chinese History with a focus on the intensifying encounter - economic or otherwise - between China and the West during the second half of the nineteenth century/early twentieth century. Please ensure you provide evidence on how your proposed topic falls under the scholarship topic in the supporting statement of your on-line application for admission.
- Open to Home, EU and Overseas students
- Applicants must possess or expect to be awarded a Distinction in their Masters degree. Applicants with a non-UK degree to be adjudged in the top rank by their referees and transcript. Those with a mark of Merit may apply but will not be given preference.
- Applicants must have an offer of admission to a Research programme at SOAS by the time the Selection Panel meets. Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
- Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by a Selection Panel consisting of three academic members.
- The assessment of your scholarship application will be based on the information in your scholarship application and on the information in your on-line application for admission. The Panel will be looking at your scholarship application in conjunction with your application for admission. Therefore, you must submit both your complete on-line application for admission and your Scholarship application by the scholarship application deadline.
Scholarship Application Deadline
- Scholarship applications must be received no later than 17:00 (UK time) on 31 January 2014 (the on-line scholarship application will be closed after 17:00). Late or incomplete scholarship applications will not be considered.
- IMPORTANT: Applicants applying for this scholarship must also submit a complete on-line application for admission by the scholarship deadline (including transcripts, an explanation of the grading system for any degrees obtained outside of the UK, two references, CV, research proposal and a personal statement) in order to ensure that you have an offer of admission by the time the Panel meets. The Panel will be considering your Scholarship application in conjunction with your on-line application for admission. Late or incomplete on-line applications for admission will not be considered for scholarships.
Notification of Results
The successful candidate will be notified by e-mail regarding the outcome of the scholarship application by the end of May. If you have not heard from us by the beginning of June, you should assume that your studentship application was unsuccessful.
Scholarship Application Procedures
You can apply for this scholarship via the online scholarship application form.
For enquiries, please contact:
SOAS, University of London
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5094/5091