Wolfson Postgraduate Scholarships in the Humanities
Deadline: 30 January 2015
The University is delighted to have been selected as one of the few institutions in the UK to be awarded three Wolfson Postgraduate Scholarships in the Humanities.
Three scholarships of £27,666 each, per annum will be available to PhD students applying for entry in Autumn 2015 in the subject disciplines of History, Literature and Languages.
The Wolfson Postgraduate Scholarship is for tuition fees, living expenses and research/ training costs. New awards offered in 2015 are valid only for the 2015/16 academic session but, subject to satisfactory progress, they may be renewed for the normal duration of a full-time student's registration. The normal duration of a full-time student's registration three years.
- Any full-time research degree programme which involves research in the following subject disciplines:
- History (one scholarship - as well as broad-based historical and historiographical studies, this may include such areas as classic, history of art, or architectural history, provided the research is grounded within historical methodology),
- Languages (one scholarship - research will be in applied languages rather than linguistics. It may involve the study of literary or historical texts, where these are in languages other than English. Students receiving scholarships under this stream may be based within literature or history departments) ,
- Literature (one scholarship - as well as literary and textual studies, this may include research that involves critical theory or film and other visual media, provided there is a literary element within the research (e.g. translation of literature to screen)
- Part-time programmes are not eligible.
- Applicants intending to commence a full-time research degree in 2015/16 in one of the above subjects are eligible to apply for the award.
- Only new research students may apply: those already enrolled on a research degree programme at SOAS are not eligible to apply.
- Have an offer of admission to a Research degree programme by the scholarship application deadline.
- To be eligible to apply, candidates must at the time of application:
- Be a holder of a First Class Honours Degree from a UK university or overseas equivalent. Have (or expect to obtain) a relevant Master's degree from a UK university with a mark of Distinction (or overseas equivalent).
- Be UK residents paying fees at the UK rate. Applicants must be classified as Home for fee purposes in order to be eligible for this scholarship (details on your fee status can be found in your offer of admission).
- Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by a Selection Panel at SOAS consisting of three academic members. The recommendations made by the School will need to be agreed by the Foundation.
- The assessment of your application will be based on the information in your scholarship application and in your on-line application for admission. Selectors will be looking at the degree results and also at academic references, statement and other relevant information.
Scholarship Application Deadline
- Scholarship applications must be received no later than 17:00 (UK local time) on 30 January 2015.
- You must submit a complete online application to your programme as soon as possible and then submit an application for the scholarship. Applicants applying for scholarships must also submit an application for admission well in advance. Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Number of applications received
Notification of Results
Successful candidates will be notified by e-mail by the end of June. If you have not heard from us by the end of June, you should assume that your application was unsuccessful.
Scholarship Application Procedures
You must follow two steps:
- STEP 1: Apply for your programme
Applicants must submit a COMPLETE on-line application for admission.
Applicants must have an offer of admission to a Research degree programme at SOAS by the scholarship application deadline. A complete application for admission includes transcripts, an explanation of the grading system for any degrees obtained outside of the UK, two references, CV, research proposal and a personal statement. The panel will be considering your scholarship application TOGETHER with with your online application for admission. Please note that complete application for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
- STEP 2: Apply for the scholarship
You must apply for this scholarship via the on-line scholarship application form.
If you are applying for a Wolfson Postgraduate Scholarship (for subject disciplines Languages or Literature only) and your offer of admissions is for an MPhil/PhD in the Faculty of Languages and Culture at SOAS, please use the Faculty of Languages and Culture on-line scholarship application form.
If you are applying for a Wolfson Postgraduate Scholarship (for subject disciplines History and Languages only) and your offer of admissions is for an MPhil/PhD in the Faculty of Arts and Humanities at SOAS, please use the Faculty of Arts and Humanities on-line scholarship application form.
For enquiries, please contact:
SOAS, University of London
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5094/5091