Recently Awarded PhDs
- Hee Won Kim United Progressive Alliance (2004-14), equality of opportunity and Muslims: a paradigm shift or political pragmatism? (Prof. G. Singh)
- Barakatullo Ashurov Tarsakya: an analysis of Sogdian Christianity based on Archaeological, Numismatic, Epigraphic and Textual Sources (Dr E. Hunter)
- Afework Hailu Beyene The Shaping of Judaic Identity of the Ethiopian Orthodox Tawahado Church: historical and literary evidence (Dr E. Hunter)
- Samantha Anne Langsdale Damaged Bodies: Women's Agency in Trecento Florentine Soteriological Discourses (Dr S. Hawthorne)
- Shinya Mano Yosai and the Transformation of Buddhist Precepts in Pre-modern Japan (Dr L. Dolce)
- Rastin Mehri The Zoroastrian Community in British Columbia (Prof. A. Hintze)
- Niranjan Saha Philosophy of Advaita Vedanta according to Madhusudana Sarasvati's Gudharthadipika (Dr T. Proferes)
- Jennifer Ai-Ming Ung Loh Why vote for a fake kinnar when you can vote for a real one?' Representation and Political Identity among Kinnars in Madhya Pradesh, India (Dr S. Hawthorne)
- Arash Zeini The Pahlavi version of the Yasna Haptanhaiti (Prof. A. Hintze)
- Aristotle Cha Dy Marginal Buddhists: Religion and Identity of a Chinese Minority in the Philippines (Dr A. Palumbo)
- Ahmet Riza Emitoglu The Exploration of the Idea of Cosmological Process through the Comparison between Ibn Sina and Abhinavagupta (Dr J-P Hartung)
- Jennifer Langer Exile from Exile: The Representation of Cultural Memory in Literary Texts by Exiled Iranian Jewish Women (Dr S. Hawthorne)
- Ahmet Riza Emiroglu The Exploration of the Idea of Emanation through the Comparison between the Islamic and Indian Philosophies with Special Reference to Ibn Sīnā and Abhinavagupta.
- Akil Nisar Awan Conversion to Islam in Contemporary Britain: Motivations, Processes and Consequences ( Prof. B Bocking; Prof. C Hezser)
- Leon Goldman Rasn Yast. The Avestan hymn to ' Justice'. Text, Translation and Commentary (Prof. A Hintze)
- James Kimball The Soteriological Role of the Rsi Kapila in the Yuktidipika: the Production and Transmission of Liberating Knowledge in Classical Samkhya ( Prof. T Proferes)
- Kigen-San Licha The Imperfectible Body: Esoteric Transmissions in Medieval Soto Zen Buddhism (Dr L Dolce)
- Anna Munster The Changing Face of Islam in Post-Soviet Ukraine: A Study of Arraid in the Light of Social Movement Theory (Dr K Zebiri)
- Gregory Deacon The socio-economic role of Pentecostal Churches in Kibera, Nairobi (Prof Gifford)
- Lewis Doney Transforming Tibetan Kingship: The portrayal of Khri Srong lde brtsan in the early Buddhist Histories (Dr Ulrich Pagel)
- Gwendolyn Heaner Destroying the Destroyer of Your Destiny: the Role(s) of Pentecostalism in Post-War Liberia (Prof Gifford)
- Satomi Horiuchi Expressing Emotions: Practices of Caring for the Dead in Contemporary Japanese Christianity (Dr L Dolce)
- Fumi Ouchi The Somatic Nature of Enlightenment: Vocal Arts in the Japanese Tendai Tradition (Dr L Dolce)
- Benedetta Lomi The Precious Steed of the Buddhist Pantheon: Ritual, Faith and Images of Bato Kannon in Japan (Dr L Dolce)
- Ligeia Lugli The Conception of Language in Early Indian Mahāyāna Buddhism - With Special Reference to the Laṅkāvatārasūtra (Dr U Pagel)
- Masaaki Okada Nature in the Healing and Farming Practices of Okada Mokichi of Sekai Kyusei Kyo (Dr L Dolce)
- Rupinder Kaur Pamme The Pilgrimage To Takht Hazur Sahib and its Place in the Sikh Tradition (Prof Shackle)
- Valerie Rylance Lesbian Buddhism? (Prof Bocking)
- Emily Welty Faith-based NGOs, Peacebuilding and Development: the Mennonite Central Committee's work in East Africa (Prof Gifford)
- William Henry Taylor Narratives of Identity: the Syrian Orthodox Church and the Church of England 1895-1914. (Dr Hunter)
- David Edward Azzopardi Religious Belief and Practice Among Sri Lankan Buddhists in the Uk (Dr K Crosby)
- Kuan Guang Wutai Shan During the Ming Dynasty (Prof Barrett)
- Stefania Travagnin The Madhyamika Dimensions of Yin Shun: A Restatement of the School of Nagarjuna in 20Th Century Chinese Buddhism (Prof Bocking)
- Robert William James Wilfred Cantwell Smith's theory of Scripture Related To the Use of the Bible in African Anglicanism (Prof Gifford)
- Christine Bodewes Civil Society in Africa: the Role of A Catholic Parish in A Kenyan Slum (Prof Gifford)
- Christopher Allen Daily From Gosport To Canton: A New Approach To Robert Morrison and the Beginnings of Protestant Missions in China. (Prof Barrett)
- Karel Peter Leonard Gerard Kersten Occupants of the Third Space: New Muslim intellectuals and the Study of Islam (Hasan Hanafi, Mohammed Arkoun, Murchilish Madjid). (Prof Shackle)
- Uranchimeg Borjigin Ujeed Indigenous Efforts and Dimensions of Mongolian Buddhism - Exemplified By the Mergen Tradition (Dr T Skorupski)
- Hasan Ali Khan Shia-Ismaili Motifs in the Sufi Architecture of the indus Valley 1200 - 1500 (Prof Shackle)
- James Alexander Kapalo Text, Context, Performance: the Lay institutions of Gagauz Orthodoxy (Prof Gifford)
- Catherine Sarah Newell Monks, Meditation and Missing Links: Continuity, "Orthodoxy" and the Vijja Dhammakaya in Thai Buddhism. (Dr K Crosby)
- Katherine Louise Wharton Philosophy As A Practice of Freedom in Ancient india and Ancient Greece (Dr T Proferes)
- Adil Hussain Khan Mirza Ghulam Ahmad and the Construction of the Ahmadiyya Identity. (Prof Shackle)
- Joanna Elizabeth Marie Sadgrove The Condom Culture Is Not the Kingdom Culture': Dissonant Discourses & Secret Sex Amongst Born-Again University Students in Uganda (Prof Gifford)
- Gianpaolo Vetturini The Bka' Gdams Pa School of Tibetan Buddhism (Dr T Skorupski)
- Sian Melvill Hawthorne Origins, Genealogies and the Politics of Mythmaking: Towards A Feminist Philosophy of Myth (Prof Gifford)
- Eamon Francis Adams Towards the Reform of Korean Buddhism During the Japanese Colonial Period, 1910-1935 (Prof Bocking)
- Hugh James Osgood African Neo-Pentecostal Churches and British Evangelicalism 1985-2005; Balancing Principles and Practicalities (Prof Gifford)
- Ho Young Lee Dai Zhen's Philosophy of Ethical Human Being (Prof Barrett)
- Ornella Corazza Consciousness and Place': the Phenomenology of the Near-Death Experience (Nde) and Similar States induced By Dissociative Anaesthesia (Dr C Zene)
- Annette Benaim Judeo-Spanish Testimonies in 16th-Century Responsa (Dr Stern)
- Felix Jere Phiri Local Muslim Associations As A Contemporary Way of Isla,Mization in Zambia (Prof Gifford)
- Jane Elizabeth Clifford Gender, Social Change and Spiritual Power: A Study of Charismatic Christianity in Accra, Ghana (Prof Gifford)
- Sharmina Mawani The Construction of Identities Amongst Young Adult Nizari Ismailis in Toronto and Mumbai (Prof Shackle)
- Oliver Paul Scharbrodt Reconciling Religious Dissidence in Early Baha'Ism and in the Salafiyya: A Comparative Study of 'Abdul-Baha 'Abbas (1844-1921) and Muhammad 'Abduh (1849-1905) (Prof Shackle)
- Abdollah Guivian Religion, Television and Culture in Post-Revolutionary Iran (Dr C Zene)
- Vena Radha Ramphal A Word On Movement: Thinking Approaches To the Dancing Body (Dr C Zene)
- Matthew Muriuki Karangi The Sacred Mugumo Tree: Revisiting the Roots of Gikuyu Cosmology and Worship. A Case Study of the Gicugu Gikuyu of Kirinyaga District in Kenya (Dr C Zene)
- Chengzhong Pu Kindness Towards Animals in Early Chinese Buddhism (Prof Barrett)
- Anastasia Karaflogka Religious Discourse and Cyberspace (Prof Bocking)
- Chi Ho Ivan Hon Chinese intellectuals' Reconstruction of Confucianism in the Late 19th and Early 20th Century China (Prof Bocking)
- Senevi Aturupana Saddha: An Analytical Study of its Role in theravada Buddhism (Dr T Skorupski)
- Jonah Avriel Cohen Religious Appreciation and the Mundane-Sacred: A Neglected Area of Philosophy (Dr C Zene)
- Elena Moreddu Sacred Places in Sardinia - Cumbessias Villages, Sacredness, and the Dialectic of the Work of Art (Dr C Zene)
- Ci Yuan The Bodhisativa Ideal in Selected Buddhist Scriptures (its theoretical and Practical Evolution) (Dr T Skorupski)
- Fang-Long Shih Dead Maidens in Taiwan: Breaking Down Chinese Religious Tradition (Dr C Zene)
- Susan Elizabeth Prill The Sant Tradition and Community formation in the Works of Guru Nanak and Dadu Dayal (Prof Shackle)
Post-Secular Islamic Religiosity: A Nietzschean Reading of Ibn ‘Arabi’s Hermeneutics of Transvaluation
The role played by Zoroastrians during the Iranian Constitutional Revolution, 1905-1911.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Organizing Transnational Yoga in the UK & India: Institutionalization, Globalization & Complexity.
- Email: email@example.com
The Manichaean-Sogdian Parable Book. Text Edition and Literary Analysis.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The life and Teachings of the 10th-century Tibetan Master A ro Ye shes ‘Byung gnas"
Neti neti - the Search for the Ultimate Principle in the Vedic Upanisads
- Email: email@example.com
Abrabanel’s Commentary on the Biblical Book of Genesis: Selected Translation and Stylistic Analysis.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
New forms of political inclusion or mere tokenism? Reading political representation from a gender and minority perspective in British and French government (working title)
- Email: email@example.com
Late Sassanian Persia, the Culture of the Church of the East and Tang Imperial Patronage.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Syrian Orthodox Barhebraeus in Dialogue with Islam: Understanding the ‘Love of God’ and the Hermeneutics of Mysticism.
- Email: email@example.com
Emphasising Christianity: The Young Women's Christian Association in Kenya
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Japanese New Religious Movements in the UK: The Negotiation between Nationalism and Universalism.
- Email: email@example.com
United Progressive Alliance (2004-14), equality of opportunity and Muslims: a paradigm shift or political pragmatism?
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sarasvati – Indian goddess of articulation. A textual and fieldwork study.
- Email: email@example.com
The Cult of Tenkawa Benzaiten – her rituals, texts, and mandalas.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Political and Religious Ideologies on Parthian Coins from the 2nd and 1st Centuries BC
- Email: email@example.com
The Politics of British Goddess Spirituality: a feminist and critical race analysis (Working Title)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
‘The dusky hordes that swarmed’: Exposing the (mis)representation of Muslims and Islamic Religious Practice in the English Charlemagne Romance Cycle and the Petronivs Redivivvs, stories VII and VIII, from the Analecta Dvblinensia.
- Email: email@example.com
Daoxuan and the Shijia fangzhi: The Creation of a Buddhist Sacred Geography of China.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The non-Brahmanical elements in the Pātañjalayogaśāstra, focussing on soteriological and metaphysical influences from Buddhism and Jainism.
- Email: email@example.com
Owning the Future: Sovereignty and Demonology in an Age of Terror
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
SUB-STORIES IN THE MAHĀBHĀRATA: SIGNIFICANCE AND NARRATIVE FUNCTIONS
- Email: email@example.com
The Great Perfection (Rdzogs chen) according to Rdo grub chen ‘Jigs med bstan pa’i nyi ma (1865-1926), his Collaborators & Disciples
Buddhism and the State in Medieval China: A Case Study of Three Persecutions of Buddhism in Chinese History, 446-845
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Beyond Tokugawa Confucianism: Soseki and Neo-Edo taste in the Meiji Bun'jin Community
- Email: email@example.com