How does a degree in the Languages and Cultures of South East Asia help with my career?
With a degree in Languages and Cultures of South East Asia from SOAS, students gain competency in language skills and intercultural awareness and understanding. Graduates leave SOAS with linguistic and cultural expertise along with a portfolio of widely transferable skills which employers seek including written and oral communication skills; attention to detail; analytical and problem solving skills; and the ability to research, amass and order information from a variety of sources.
Former Languages and Cultures of South East Asia students have gone on to employment in a range of professional roles in business and public sectors, as well as continuing in the field of research either at SOAS or other institutions
Destinations of recent graduates from this department immediately after graduation include:
Example employers include:
- Carers UK
- European Institute of Asian Studies
- Global Post
- Melton College
- Metro TV
- Ministry of Defence
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of The Kingdom of Thailand
- Pansodan Gallery
- Saint Thomas the Apostle Church
- SEAMEO SPAFA Regional Centre for Archaeology and Fine Arts
- World Conference of Religions for Peace Japan
- World Food Health
Example job titles include:
- Assistant Fundraiser
- Civil Service Officer
- Diplomatic Assistant
- Gallery Manager
- Junior Consultant
- Junior Researcher
- Lecturer in Applied Arts and Design
- Project Co-Ordinator
- Senior Correspondant
- Shortbreaks Co-Ordinator
- TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) Teacher
Graduate Destination Surveys from 2014 show that the majority of graduates who could be surveyed are either in work, further study, work and study or volunteering.
Further information about DLHE is available on the Careers Service website.
What do Graduates do?
Job Profiles and Careers Information
- Occupational profiles for 600 career areas on Prospects
- Postgraduate study information and database on Prospects
- Country profiles: Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand
- For more information about careers, visit Careers Tagged