King Sejong Institute London 런던 세종학당
The King Sejong Institute (or ‘Sejong hakdang’ in Korean) is an educational institute which teaches Korean language and culture to the worldwide public. It was established in 2009 by the Korean Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism to promote and support Korean language learning and teaching programmes overseas as well as in Korea. Currently there are 115 institutes worldwide.
The Day of Korean Culture
'Let's Dance 'Gang Gang Sulae!'
Date : Friday, 18th November
Time : 6.30-9.00pm
Venue : Senate House S116 at SOAS (Attention! The venue has been changed)
Instructor : JeungHyun Choi
We are happy to inform that we can hold the traditional Korean Dance Play '강강술래' workshop thanks to the support by Sejong Foundation. Whoever wants to come are welcome and can experience this active and exciting dance play 강강술래 along the song.
The Symbol of Sejong Institute
ㅅ is the initial letter for Sejong (the king who created Hangul -- the Korean script system)
ㅎis the initial letter for Hangul (Korean alphabet) and for hakdang (institute).
What the King Sejong Institute does
- Research and develop Korean language programmes and their course syllabi. There are 7 levels from beginners to advanced:
- Level 1 & 2: elementary
- Level 3 & 4: intermediate
- Level 5 & 6: advanced
- Level 7: higher advanced
- The syllabus for each level is based on the ‘International Korean Language Education Standard Model’ developed by the National Institute of the Korean Language.
- Develop course materials and providing online materials to the learners and teachers of Korean. Currently, Sejong Korean 1 and 2 are published and available for use. Each Sejong Institute is encouraged to use these text books if possible. On-line materials to accompany them can be found at King Sejong web site.
- Promote the understanding of Korean Culture through activities and events organised by the Korean Cultural Centre.
- Organise annual workshops and events. Teachers and students from all Sejong Institutes are invited to these workshops where they can share their practical experience of teaching and learning with one another and enjoy a wide range of cultural events.
The King Sejong Institute events
The World Korean Educators Conference in Seoul
The King Sejong Institute holds annual <The World Korean Educators Conference>, where the teacher, the director and one of the best students of each centre are invited to attend. It took place in July this year in Seoul, Korea with about 300 people attended.
The King Sejong Institute Cultural Training in Seoul
There is also the cultural training for the students from all over the world. The students have a chance to experience Korean culture for a week. They have workshops to learn Korean songs (k-pop), traditional dance, Taekwondo, play (연극) and traditional musical instrument (사물놀이) as well as visiting places where they can feel Korean tradition.
A participant from SOAS Language Centre (Sejong Institute, London) : Ashleigh Gregory
“My time in Korea will forever be one of the most unforgettable experiences in my life, and despite travelling so far seeming a very scary thing to do, I am so grateful that I was chosen to go. While only being out there for a week we packed a lot into our schedule; I made so many new friends from all over the world, visited palaces, went to modern museums, tried new food and even wore a hanbok! We got to have a taster lesson for traditional music, made a decorative mirror, and even performed a fan dance on the last day.My time out there definitely reinforced my love of learning Korean language and got me excited to keep learning more about Korea and its culture.Everyone I met out there was so lovely, and the only bad part about the trip?Having to come back home!”
Sejong Institute Cultural event at SOAS
We held a traditional Korean music 판소리 (춘향가) workshop in November where the students were privileged to listen to a famous Pansori singer. Students were taught how to sing ‘판소리’. They also had a chance to paint the Korean (folding) fan.
King Sejong Institute London
Since 2011 SOAS Language Centre has hosted London's King Sejong Institute. It supports our intermediate and advanced language courses. As a result of this support the Language Centre is able to offer 30% discount on fees for its intermediate and advanced level Korean language courses.
King Sejong Institute at SOAS Language Centre
UK: 020 7898 4275
World: +44 20 7898 4275
UK: 020 7898 4009
World: +44 20 7898 4009
Director: Jaehoon Yeon, Professor of Korean Language and Linguistics
Tel: 020 7898 4232
Project Co-ordinator: Jiwon Kim
Tel: 020 7898 4275