[skip to content]

International Students


Singapore Flag

Welcome to the country page for Singapore, which contains specific information for students in Singapore interested in studying at SOAS.
Currently we have 24 students from Singapore studying at the School.

Contact Us

We are delighted to answer any questions you might have about applying to and studying at SOAS. Please feel free to contact Laura Hayes, the International Officer for Singapore:
Phone: +44 (0) 20 7898 4031
E-mail: l.hayes@soas.ac.uk
Laura also travels to Singapore regularly and you can find out about forthcoming visits at the Meet SOAS staff in your Area page.

Singapore at SOAS

Singapore at SOAS


Minimum Entry Requirements

The below are guidelines only and do not Guarantee entry. Each application will be judged on its own merits.

Undergraduate Study

Students with Singapore/Cambridge ‘A’ levels at the same grades as UK ‘A’ Levels, or the IB Diploma will be considered. Please refer to the undergraduate entry requirements page for more information. In addition you should check the individual programme of study for any specific academic requirements.

Graduate Study

Applicants with an upper second class (or equivalent) bachelor’s degree from a good university will be considered for entry to a SOAS master’s degree.

Research applicants would normally be expected to have completed a Masters qualification from a good university.

In addition to the above minimum entrance requirements, you should also refer to the individual programme entries in the postgraduate prospectus or on our postgraduate admissions pages, which may have additional requirements.

English Language Proficiency

Applicants whose first language is not English will normally have to provide evidence of their English language proficiency. Please check the English language requirements page for detailed information. SOAS does offer English summer courses (‘pre-sessionals’) for those who do not meet the exact entry requirements so that students have the opportunity to improve their language skills before beginning academic study.

Foundation Courses

Those applicants who do not meet the above entry requirements or would like to improve their English language before studying for a degree, could consider applying for one of the foundation degrees offered at the SOAS IFCELS centre. Students can improve their English while studying academic courses in an area of their choice, including Development Studies, International Business, Media and Communication and International Politics.


SOAS offers a wide-range of scholarships, bursaries and awards to support students. In addition, there are a number of scholarships provided by the University of London, the British Government and other external organisations, for a full list please visit scholarships and bursaries.

The prestigious Alphawood Scholarship is available to students resident in Singapore. Eligible courses of study include programmes within the Department of History of Art and Archaeology and MA South East Asian Studies and MA Asian Pacific Studies where the major course relates to Southeast Asian art. For further information, please go to: 
The Alphawood Scholarship


The SOAS Careers Service is part of the The Careers Group, University of London, which is the biggest careers service in the country. The Careers Service provides a range of services including a careers information library, career counselling services and various events throughout the year, to help with career choice, job hunting, applications and interviews.


SOAS has alumni all over the world, if you would like to contact an alum to ask any questions then please visit the SOAS alumni website.

Useful Links

  • The British Council is the British Government's international organization for educational and cultural relations. Their Singapore website is designed for those seeking information and advice on education and contemporary arts in the UK. 
  • Education UK is produced by the British Council to help international students interested in a UK course or qualification.
  • UKCISA - The UK Council for International Students Affairs provides information on many aspects of studying overseas, including visas and working while studying.
  • The UK Border Agency also has up to date information on immigration and visa requirements.
  • UCAS - The Universities and Colleges Admission Service is the body through which all applications for undergraduate study must be made.
  • The British High Commission in Singapore may also be able to help you with information about travelling to the UK.