Diploma in Sanskrit
Minimum Entry Requirements: A-levels in Sanskrit (or a comparable proficiency in Sanskrit, to be assessed at interview).
Mode of Attendance: Part Time
The diploma will not be running in the 2014/2015 academic session.
The aim of the Diploma in Sanskrit is to provide a programme of study at advanced undergraduate level for students who want to continue their Sanskrit studies at university, but do not want to register for the half-degree (which would have to be combined with another subject and would start at the beginners' level).
It is designed for adult students who have completed the Cambridge International A Level (or equivalent) and thus have sufficient language proficiency to enter the second year of the BA Sanskrit degree; who are in daily employment but who desire or need university qualifications in Sanskrit; and who expect normal degree level teaching by fully qualified and experienced staff.
Aims and objectives
To provide teaching in Sanskrit, as available in year 2 and 3 of the undergraduate programme.
A total of four units, taken from the BA half-degree syllabus provided for the second and third year.
Two courses from the following lists:
In order to accommodate regular B.A. students as well as adult students in daily employment, class hours would have to be scheduled in the late afternoon (between 4-7 p.m.).
Pre Entry Reading
- C. R. Lanman, A Sanskrit reader. Cambridge, Mass., 1884 (repr. Delhi).
- O. Böhtlingk, Sanskrit-Chrestomathie. Leipzig 1909 (repr. Darmstadt 1967).
- A.F. Stenzler, Primer of the Sanskrit language, transl. R. Söhnen-Thieme. SOAS 1992 (revised ed. SOAS 1997).
- D.D. Whitney, Sanskrit Grammar, 2nd ed. Harvard, Mass., 1888 [repr. Delhi 1983].
- J.S. Speijer, Sanskrit syntax. Leiden 1886 [reprint Delhi 1988].
- M. Monier-Williams, A dictionary English and Sanskrit. Fourth Indian edition, Delhi 1976.
- A.B. Keith, A history of Sanskrit literature. Oxford 1928.
- M.Winternitz, History of Indian literature, vol. 1. Engl. transl. Calcutta 1927 (repr. Delhi 1987). Vol. 3, pt.1-2. Delhi 1963-67.
Renate Söhnen-Thieme Convenor