Dr Yorgos Dedes
BA, MA, PhD(Harvard)
Senior Lecturer in Turkish
Advisory Board Member
- Dr Yorgos Dedes
- Email address:
- +44(0)20 7898 4344
- SOAS, University of London
Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square, London WC1H 0XG
- Russell Square: College Buildings
- Office No:
- Office Hours:
- Friday 15:00 - 17:00
BiographyLanguage and literature; history
- BA Turkish
- BA Turkish and ...
- Certificate in Turkish
- Certificate in Turkish Studies
- MA Near and Middle Eastern Studies
- MA Turkish Studies
- Advanced Modern Turkish Language
- Advanced Translation (Turkish)
- Advanced Turkish/English/Turkish Translation
- Classical Ottoman Literature
- Classical Ottoman Literature (Masters)
- Extended Essay in Turkish Studies a
- Extended Essay in Turkish Studies b
- Independent Study Project (Turkish Literature)
- Intensive Turkish Language
- Intensive Turkish Language (PG)
- Intermediate Modern Turkish Language
- Intermediate Modern Turkish Language (PG)
- Ottoman Turkish Language
- Ottoman Turkish Language (PG)
- Turkey:Continuity and Change
- Twentieth Century Turkish Literature
PhD Students supervised
- Anastasia-Aglaia Lemos, Inter-War Turkish and Greek Novels on Anatolia
- Ayca Baydar, The Hybrid Identity of the Karamanlis
- Ferah Contopoulos-Engin, The Role of the Media in Greek-Turkish Relations since 1999.
- Onees Lodhi, Migration (Hijra) and Travel in Early Islam
- Taylan Gungor, The mercantile experience of Ottoman Pera in the century after 1453
- Yakoob Ahmed, The Role of the Ottoman Ulama in the Second Constitutional Period During the Parliamentary Elections of 1908 -1912
ResearchFrontier epics: early Ottoman literature and language (influence of Persian and Greek); Balkan (especially Greek) Muslim literature (al Jamiada)
For help in contacting SOAS academics and advice on services to business and the community, please contact SOAS Enterprise on +44(0)20 7898 4837 or email email@example.com.
For all press and media enquiries please call +44 (0)20 7898 4135 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Special Study Programmes
- Short Term Consultancy
- Long Term Consultancy
- Near and Middle East
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
Dedes, George (2007) The Ascensions of Felicity and Sources of Nobility: An English Translation of Su'udi's Metali' ul-Sa'adet. Moleiro. (In Press)
Dedes, Yorgos (2016) 'Bursa.' In: Wallace, David, (ed.), Europe. A literary history 1348-1418. Oxford: Oxford University Press, pp. 331-346. (In Press)
Dedes, Yorgos (2011) 'Blame it on the Turko-Romnioi (Turkish Rums) A Muslim Cretan song on the abolition of the Janissaries.' In: Balta, Evangelia and Ölmez, Mehmet, (eds.), Between Religion and Language: Turkish-Speaking Christians, Jews and Greek-Speaking Muslims and Catholics in the Ottoman Empire. Istanbul: Eren, pp. 321-376. (Türk dilleri araştırmaları dizisi, 48)
Dedes, George (2005) 'Süleyman Çelebi's Mevlid: Text, Performance and Muslim-Christian Dialogue.' In: Kut, G. and Buyyukkarci Yilmaz, F., (eds.), Uygurlardan Osmanlıya. Simurg, pp. 305-349.
Balta, Evangelia and Dedes, Yorgos (2014) 'Holding the sceptre of superiority in the Propontis? Late Ottoman Triglia/Trilye.' Journal of Turkish Studies, 42 . pp. 1-63.
Rona, Bengisu and Dedes, George (2007) 'Languages in Contact: Greek Loanwords in Turkish.' Journal of Turkish Studies, 31 (2). pp. 169-208.
Dedes, George (2007) 'Lugat-i rumiye: A Turkish-Greek Versified Glossary from the Late Ottoman Period: Serious Learning or a Bit of Fun on the Side?' Journal of Turkish Studies, 31 (1). pp. 237-280.