Dr Deborah Johnston
BA MSc (Cantab), PhD (London)
Reader in Development Economics
Advisory Committee Member, SOAS Food Studies Centre
Research Project Member
- Dr Deborah Johnston
- Email address:
- 020 7898 4494
- SOAS, University of London
Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square, London WC1H 0XG
- Russell Square: College Buildings
- Office No:
- Office Hours:
- Thursdays: 9.00am - 11.00am
- Economic development in Africa
- Economic development of Africa
- Political Economy of Agriculture and Food
PhD Students supervised
- Gabriel Pollen , Total Factor Productivity Growth Applications in a Developing Country: Does the case of Zambia validate or repudiate its realism? (Working Title)
- Jason Moyer-Lee,
- Kevin Deane, A Socio-economic Analysis of HIV : Exploring the relationship between population mobility and HIV risk in Tanzania
- Mausumi Mahapatro,
- Neha Batura, The Cause and Long-term Impact of Poor Nutrition: Evidence from Rural Tanzania
Completed PhD students:
- Anthony Booker (2014) ‘The Transformation of Traditional Asian Medical Knowledge into International Commodities – the Link between Traditional Medicines and the International Market’ Centre for Pharmacognosy and Phytotherapy University College London, School of Pharmacy. Supervisors: Prof Michael Heinrich (UCL) and Deborah Johnston.
- Jason Moyer-Lee (2013) 'Agricultural Global Value Chains: The case of tobacco in Malawi', PhD thesis, SOAS University of London. Supervisor: Dr Deborah Johnston.
- Kevin Deane (2013) 'A socio-economic analysis of HIV: Exploring the relationship between population mobility and HIV risk in Tanzania', PhD thesis, SOAS University of London. Supervisors: Dr Deborah Johnston, Dr Justin Parkhurst (LSHTM).
- Batura, Neha (2013) The determinants and impact of long-term child undernutrition: evidence from rural Tanzania. PhD thesis. SOAS, University of London. Supervisor: Dr Deborah Johnston.
- Mausumi Mahapatro – (2013) An analysis of land, migration and rural differentiation : a case study in Bangladesh. PhD thesis. Supervisor: Dr Deborah Johnston.
- Alexandre Abreu (2012) Migration and development in contemporary Guinea-Bissau : a political economy approach. Supervisors: Dr Deborah Johnston and Prof Jane Harrigan.
- Nicola Pontara (2010) A critical examination of theoretical and methodological approaches to low-income country labour markets: a case study of Mauritania. Supervisors: Prof Christopher Cramer, Dr Deborah Johnston.
- Erin Boyd (2009) Intra- and extra-household decisions with regard to energy consumption: the case of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. PhD thesis, SOAS University of London. Supervisors: Dr Deborah Johnston, Dr Ben Groom.
- Food, nutrition and agriculture
- Rural poverty and labour markets. Land reform and development. Poverty, development and HIV/Aids.
- Member of editorial board for Journal of Agrarian Change
- Member of advisory board for SOAS Centre of Food Studies
- Member of management committee for Leverhulme Centre for Integrative Research on Agriculture and Health http://www.lcirah.ac.uk/
- Co-investigator in Fair Trade, Employment and Poverty Reduction Project, http://ftepr.org, a four-year DFID funded project looking at the impact of Fairtrade on wage workers in tea, coffee and cutflower production in Uganda and Ethiopia
- Other research projects:
- WHO PMNCH ‘Strategy Briefs on Cross Sectoral Approaches to Women's and Children's Health: Agriculture/Food and Nutrition’, September 2013 – October 2013. PI: Deborah Johnston.
- DFID-funded – ‘Current and Planned Research on Agriculture for Improved Nutrition: A Mapping and a Gap Analysis’, March 2012 to July 2012. Principal Investigator: Dr. Corinna Hawkes (LCIRAH). Co-investigators: (LCIRAH) Rachel Turner; Elaine Ferguson; Deborah Johnston; Bhavani Shankar; Jeff Waage. University of Aberdeen: Farhana Haseen; Hilary Homans; Julia Hussein; Debbi Marais; Geraldine McNeill.
- Foresight-funded – ‘Understanding and Improving the Relationship between Agriculture and Health’, June 2009-June 2010. Principal Investigator: Prof Jeff Waage (LCIRAH/SOAS). Co-investigators: Alan Dangour; Sophie Hawkesworth, Deborah Johnston, Karen Lock, Nigel Poole, Jonathan Rushton, Ricardo Uauy.
- British Academy Small Grant - 'Farmwork and food: understanding women's employment and the shift to purchased food in Ethiopia', May 2014 to Sept 2014. PI: Deborah Johnston.
- Danish Strategic Fund - 'Healthy and Affordable Protein for the African Middle-Class'. WP6 April 2015-April 2017: Consumer preferences and communication of product health properties in the West African market. WP-leader: Deborah Johnston.
- IFPRI/LCIRAH - 'Women’s time use, food consumption and nutrition - a mixed studies review'. May 2014-April 2015. PI: Deborah Johnston. Co-investigators: Elizabeth Hull (SOAS, LCIRAH), Suneetha Kadiyala (LCIRAH, LSHTM), Hazel Malapit (IFPRI, A4NH), Sara Stevano (LCIRAH, SOAS).
For help in contacting SOAS academics and advice on services to business and the community, please contact SOAS Enterprise on +44(0)20 7898 4837 or email email@example.com.
For all press and media enquiries please call +44 (0)20 7898 4135 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnston, Deborah (2013) Economics and HIV: The Sickness of Economics. London: Routledge. (Routledge International Studies in Health Economics)
Johnston, Deborah (1996) Lesotho. Oxford, England; Santa Barbara, Calif.: Clio Press. (World bibliographical series, v. 3)
Edited Books or Journal Volumes
Saad Filho, Alfredo and Johnston, Deborah, eds. (2004) Neoliberalism: A Critical Reader. London: Pluto Press.
Johnston, Deborah (2015) 'Disguised employment? Labour market surveys, migration and rural employment in Southern Africa.' In: Oya, Carlos and Pontara, Nicola, (eds.), Rural Wage Employment in Developing Countries: Theory, Evidence, and Policy. Oxford; New York: Routledge, pp. 128-143. (ISS Studies in Rural Livelihoods)
Johnston, Deborah (2012) 'Population and Migration.' In: Saad Filho, Alfredo and Fine, Ben, (eds.), The Elgar Companion to Marxist Economics. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar, pp. 272-276.
Johnston, Deborah (2011) 'World Bank Research on HIV/AIDS: Praise Where It's Due?' In: Bayliss, Kate and Fine, Ben and Van Waeyenberge, Elisa, (eds.), The Political Economy of Development: The World Bank, Neoliberalism and Development Research. London: Pluto Press.
Johnston, Deborah and Sender, John (2008) 'Confusing counts, correlates and causes: The PRSP and poverty in Lesotho.' In: Rutten, M. and Leliveld, A. and Foeken, D., (eds.), Inside Poverty and Development in Africa: Critical Reflections on Pro-Poor Policies. Leiden: Brill, pp. 57-82.
Johnston, Deborah 'Land Reform.' In: Pons-Vignon, Nicolas, (ed.), APORDE Reader on Development Economics. APORDE. (Forthcoming)
Cramer, Christopher and Johnston, Deborah and Oya, Carlos and Sender, John (2015) 'Fairtrade cooperatives in Ethiopia and Uganda: uncensored.' Review of African Political Economy, 41 (S1). S115-S127.
Jerven, Morten and Johnston, Deborah (2015) 'Statistical Tragedy in Africa? Evaluating the Data Base for African Economic Development.' Journal of Development Studies, 51 (2). pp. 111-115.
Cramer, Christopher and Johnston, Deborah and Mueller, Bernd and Oya, Carlos and Sender, John (2014) 'How to do (and how not to do) fieldwork on Fair Trade and rural poverty.' Canadian Journal of Development Studies, 35 (1). pp. 170-185.
Deane, Kevin and Johnston, Deborah and Parkhurst, Justin (2013) 'Migration as a Tool in Development Policy: Caution Ahead?' Journal of Development Studies, 49 (6). pp. 759-771.
Turner, Rachel and Hawkes, Corinna and Waage, Jeff and Ferguson, Elaine and Haseen, Farhana and Holmans, Hiliary and Hussein, Julia and Johnston, Deborah and Marais, Debbi and McNeill, Geraldine and Shankar, Bhavani (2013) 'Agriculture for improved nutrition: the current research landscape.' Food and Nutrition Bulletin, 34 (4). pp. 369-377.
Bookera, Anthony and Johnston, Deborah and Heinricha, Michael (2012) 'Value chains of herbal medicines—Research needs and key challenges in the context of ethnopharmacology.' Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 140 (3). pp. 624-633.
Howe, Laura D and Galobardes, Bruna and Matijasevich, Alicia and Gordon, David and Johnston, Deborah and Onwujeke, Obinna and Patel, Rita and Webb, Elizbeth A and Lawlor, Debbie A and Hargreaves, James R (2012) 'Measuring socio-economic position for epidemiological studies in low- and Middle-income countries: a methods of measurement in epidemiology paper.' International Journal of Epidemiology .
Johnston, Deborah (2011) 'Shooting for the wrong Target?: A Reassement of the International Education Goals for Sub-Saharan Africa.' Revista de Economia Mundial (27). pp. 95-116.
Hawkesworth, Sophie and Dangour, Alan D. and Johnston, Deborah and Lock, Karen and Poole, Nigel and Rushton, Jonathan and Uauy, Ricardo and Waage, Jeff (2010) 'Feeding the Worlth Healthily: the Challenge of Measuring the effects of Agriculture on Health.' Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, 365 (1554). pp. 3083-3097.
Deane, Kevin and Parkhurst, Justin O. and Johnston, Deborah (2010) 'Linking Migration, Mobility and HIV.' Tropical Medicine and International Health, 15 (12). pp. 1458-1463.
Cramer, Christopher and Johnston, Deborah and Oya, Carlos (2009) 'Africa and the Global Credit Crunch: from crisis to opportunity?' African Affairs, 108 (433). pp. 643-654.
Johnston, Deborah (2008) 'Bias, not error: Assessments of the economic impact of HIV/AIDS from microstudies in Sub-Saharan Africa.' Feminist Economics, 14 (4). pp. 87-115.
Johnston, Deborah and Wall, Martin (2008) 'Counting Heads or Counting Televisions: Can Asset-based Measures of Welfare Assist Policy-makers in Russia?' Journal of Human Development, 9 (1). pp. 131-147.
Johnston, Deborah (2007) 'Who Needs Immigrant Workers: A Case Study of Immigrant Farmworkers in South Africa.' Journal of Agrarian Change, 7 (4). pp. 494-525.
Johnston, Deborah and Le Roux, H. (2007) 'Leaving the Household out of Family Labour? The Implications for the Size-Efficiency Relationship of Unreconstructed Thinking about the Households.' The European Journal of Development Research, 19 (3). pp. 355-71.
Johnston, Deborah (2006) 'Lessons to be learnt? The Role of Evaluations of Active Labour Market Programmes in Evidence-based Policy Making.' Public Administration and Development, 26 (4). pp. 329-337.
Johnston, Deborah and Mohiddin, A. (2006) 'HIV/AIDS mitigation strategies and the State in sub-Saharan Africa – the missing link?' Globalization and Health, 2 (1).
Sender, John and Johnston, Deborah (2004) 'Searching for a Weapon of Mass Production in Rural Africa: Unconvincing Arguments for Land Reform.' Journal of Agrarian Change, 4 (1-2). pp. 142-164.
Johnston, Deborah (1997) 'Migrant workers on Free State Farms: The relevance for South African labour policy.' South African Labour Bulletin, 21 (4).
Johnston, Deborah (1996) 'The state and development in Lesotho: an analysis of agricultural policy.' Journal of Southern African Studies, 22 (1). pp. 119-137.
Johnston, Deborah and Sender, John (1996) 'Some poor and invisible women: farm labourers in South Africa.' Development Southern Africa, 13 (1). pp. 3-16.
Waage, Jeff and Dangour, Alan D. and Hawkesworth, Sophie and Johnston, Deborah and Lock, Karen and Poole, Nigel and Rushton, Jonathan and Uauy, Ricardo (2010) Understanding and Improving the Relationship between Agriculture and Health. London: Foresight.