Dr Tom Young
BSc, MA, MA (Phil), PhD (London)
Senior Lecturer in Politics with reference to Africa
- Dr Tom Young
- Email address:
- 020 7898 4732
- SOAS, University of London
Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square, London WC1H 0XG
- Russell Square: College Buildings
- Office No:
- Office Hours:
- 1-3 Wednesdays
- International Relations of Africa
- International politics of Africa
- Introduction to Global History
- Political theory
- The state and politics in Africa
PhD Students supervised
- Bala Mohammed Liman, Conflict and Identity in Nigeria: The Emergence of a Culture of Conflict In Northern Nigeria
- Barkindo Atta, Impunity and Political Violence: Boko Haram in Nigeria Since 1999
- Emma Birikorang, Emerging regional security threats in West Africa; implications for regional security
- Felix Marco Conteh, Governance Reforms in Sierra Leone: An Analysis of the Conception, Design and implementation of the Decentralization programme and its Impacts – A Political Economy Approach
- Hagar Taha, The Local Element of Peace: Role of Indigenous Civil Societies in Intervention and Conflict Resolution – Cases of Darfur (Sudan) and Somaliland (Northern Somalia)
- Marwa Salem Mamdou, The Feeble Giant: Analysing Egypt’s Foreign policy towards some African issues
International and domestic politics of Southern Africa
Political theory and ideology
The State and Politics in Africa (BA)
For help in contacting SOAS academics and advice on services to business and the community, please contact SOAS Enterprise on +44(0)20 7898 4837 or email email@example.com.
For all press and media enquiries please call +44 (0)20 7898 4135 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- South Africa
Young, Tom (2010) Africa: A Beginner's Guide. Oxford & New York: Oneworld.
Young, Thomas and Hall, M (1997) Confronting Leviathan: Mozambique since Independence. C. Hurst and Co..
Young, T, ed. (2003) Readings in African Politics. James Currey (UK).
Young, Tom and Williams, David (2007) 'The World Bank and the Liberal Project.' In: The World Bank Development Poverty Hegemony. Scottsville, South Africa: University of KwaZulu-Natal Press.
Young, Thomas (2002) 'A Project to be realised': Global Liberalism and a New World Order.' In: Hovden, E and Keene, E, (eds.), The Globalisation of Liberalism. Palgrave (UK), pp. 173-190.
Young, Thomas (1998) 'Rights as Discourse and Practice in Contemporary Politics and International Relations.' In: Fritz/M, J, (ed.), Value Pluralism Normative Theory and International Relations. Macmillan, pp. 24-40.
Young, Thomas (1997) 'A Victim of Modernity? Explaining the War in Mozambique.' In: P, eds, (ed.), The Counter-Insurgent State Guerrilla Warfare and State Building in the Twentieth Century. Macmillan, pp. 120-152.
Young, Thomas (2002) 'Democracy in Africa?' Africa, vol. 7 . pp. 482-495.
Young, Thomas (2002) 'You Europeans, You Are Just Like Fish!: Some Sceptical Reflections on Modernity and Democratisation in Africa.' Cadernos dos Estudos Africanos, vol. 3 . pp. 111-125.
Young, Thomas (1999) 'The State and Politics in Africa.' Journal of Southern African Studies, 25 . pp. 149-154.