Dr Karima Laachir
MA, PhD (Leeds); PGCE (Birmingham)
Senior Lecturer in Literary & Cultural Studies
- Dr Karima Laachir
- Email address:
- 020 7898 4336
- SOAS, University of London
Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square, London WC1H 0XG
- Russell Square: College Buildings
- Office No:
- Office Hours:
- Fridays 1.30pm-2.30pm
- Cultural studies theories and the study of Asia, Africa and the Middle East
- Dissertation in Cultural Studies
- Theory and techniques of Comparative Literature
PhD Students supervised
- Charis Bredin, Creaturely Encounters: Animals in the Libyan literary imaginary
- Chinmay Sharma, The Mahabharata re-constructed for Hindi and English publics: modernity and the 'national epic'
- Cleo Jay, Moroccan Theatre in the Post-Lead Years: Performing Identity, Politics and Society
- Cristina Moreno Almeida, Popular youth culture in Contemporary Morocco and the re-imagining of the nation: a case study of hip-hop
- Hanna Ali, 'Afrabia': Identity, Islam & Geography in Eastern African Writings in the Diaspora
- Irene Fernandez Ramos, Performing immobility: Space, the individual-collective body and the narratives of oppression in Contemporary Palestinian Theatre
- Natalie Abou Shakra, Beyond the Culture Industry, Contemporary Music of Dissidence in the Arab world: A case study of Egypt and Lebanon
- Nathanael Mannone, Between Dissent and Co-optation: An Exploration of film, music, and quotidian humour in revolutionary Tunisia
- Rasha Chatta, Marginality and Individuation in Literary Discourse: Theorising Contemporary Migrant Literature through the Example of Arab Migrant Writing
- Sara Marzagora, Ethiopian political thought and philosophy of history (1896-1960s): pro-zämänawinnät intellectuals and the construction of alterity
- Sefik Huseyin, The Ottomanist Discourse of Istanbul’s Space in Contemporary Literature and Art: from the 1980S to the Present
- Sibel Kocaer, The Hızırnâme (Book of Khidr): Journey of an Ottoman Warrior-Dervish and Its Reception
Comparative postcolonial literature (Arabophone, Francophone and Anglophone); Arabic popular culture; literature of the North African diaspora (Beur); exclusion, segregation and marginalisation of ethnic minorities in Europe, with a specific focus on France; postcolonialism and colonial legacies, Islam and Islamophobia
Laachir, Karima, ed. (2013) Journal of African Cultural Studies. Special issue: Contemporary Moroccan Cultural Production: Between Dissent and Co-optation, Vol 25, (3). Routledge: Taylor and Francis Group .
Laachir, Karima and Talajooy, Saeed, eds. (2013) Resistance in Contemporary Middle Eastern Cultures: Literature, Cinema and Music. London; New York: Routledge. (Routledge Research in Postcolonial Literatures)
Laachir, Karima (2013) '"Managed Reforms and Deferred Democratic Rule in Morocco and Algeria".' In: Saikal , Amin and Acharya, Amitav , (eds.), Democracy and Reform in the Middle East and Asia. IB Tauris.
Laachir, Karima (2013) 'Saudi Women Novelists and the Quest for Freedom: Raja Alem’s The Doves’ Necklace.' In: Laachir, Karima and Talajooy, Saeed Reza, (eds.), Resistance in Contemporary Middle Eastern Cultures: Literature, Cinema and Music. London; New York: Routledge.
Laachir, Karima (2009) 'Social Class.' In: Albertazzi, Daniele and Cobley, Paul, (eds.), The Media: An Introduction. London: Pearson.
Laachir, Karima (2007) 'Hospitality and the Limitations of the National.' In: Germann Molz, Jennie and Gibson, Sarah, (eds.), Mobilizing Hospitality: The Ethics of Social Relations in a Mobile World. Ashgate Publishing.
Laachir, Karima (2007) 'North African Diaspora in France and Colonial Legacies.' In: Hewitt, Nick and Geary, Dick, (eds.), Diasporas: Movements and Cultures. Nottingham: Critical, Cultural and Communication Press.
Laachir, Karima (2005) 'African Diaspora in France.' In: Electronic Proceeding of an International Conference on "Black European Studies". Mainz: University of Mainz.
Laachir, Karima (2002) 'Crossing the 'Threshold of Intolerance': Contemporary French Society.' In: Herbrechter, Stefan, (ed.), Cultural Studies: Interdisciplinarity and Translation. Amesterdam: Rodopi.
Laachir, Karima (2013) 'Editorial: Contemporary Moroccan Cultural Production: Between Dissent and Co-optation.' Journal of African Cultural Studies, 25 (3). pp. 257-260.
Laachir, Karima (2013) 'Reflection on Co-optation and Defeat in the Contemporary Moroccan Novel in Arabic: Mohammed Achaari's The Arch and The Butterfly (2011).' Journal of African Cultural Studies, 25 (3). pp. 292-305.
Laachir, Karima (2011) 'Sectarian Strife and ‘National Unity’ in Egyptian Films: a Case Study of Hassan and Morqos.' Comparative Study of South Asia, Africa and the Middle East, 31 (1). pp. 217-226.
Laachir, Karima (2008) 'French Muslims and the Politics of Laicité.' The Maghreb Review, 33 (1). pp. 21-35.
Laachir, Karima (2007) 'Tassadit Imache’s Une Fille sans Histoire, ‘une Fille de l'histoire’.' Forum for Modern Language Studies, 43 (3). pp. 277-289.
Laachir, Karima (2007) 'France's 'Ethnic' Minorities and the Question of Exclusion.' Mediterranean Politics, 12 (1). pp. 99-105.
Laachir, Karima (2006) 'French Muslim Youth and the Banlieues of Rage.' The Journal of Youth and Policy (92). pp. 59-68.
Laachir, Karima (2005) 'The Interplay Between History/Memory/Space in Tassadit Imache's Presque un Frère and Le Dromadaire de Bonaparte.' Modern and Contemporary France, 13 (4). pp. 449-464.
Laachir, Karima (2002) 'Reveiw of Paul Gilroy, 'Between Camps: Nations, Cultures and the Allure of Race'.' Parallax, 8 (3). pp. 104-108.
Laachir, Karima (2012) 'Managed Reforms and Deferred Democratic Rule in Morocco and Algeria.' CAIS Bulletin, 19 (1).