Dr Stefano Taglia
MA (SOAS), PhD (SOAS)
Ottoman and Middle Eastern History, 19th century ideas of modernity and proto-nationalist discourse.
- MA The End of the Empire in the Middle East and the Balkans.
- H443: Reform, Resistance and Revolution: the Ottoman Empire 1876-1909.
- H348: The Making of the Modern Middle East.
- H130: Introduction to the History of the Near and Middle East.
- H248: The Making of the Modern Middle East.
- MA Modernity and Transformation of the Middle East (II).
ResearchOttoman history, transition from empire to republic, emergence of Balkan and Greek nationalism. Nationalism, Ottomanism, Synthesis science-Islam, Freemasonry in 19th century Ottoman Empire.
Analysis of Albanian and Greek communities in the late nineteenth century and their contribution to the Young Turk intellectual period and to the formulations of an Ottoman multi-confessional future. Working on a project on continuities in negotiations of identity between the Ottoman and Turkish Republican periods, with an emphasis on the 1980s and the intellectuals behind the Turkish Islamic Synthesis.