Mrs Vivian Polar Funez
BA (Universidad Mayor de San Andres - La Paz, Bolivia), MSC (Universidad Tomas Frías - Potosí, Bolivia), PHDC (SOAS)
- Mrs Vivian Polar Funez
- Email address:
- Thesis title:
- Participation for Empowerment: An analysis of agricultural innovation in two contrasting settings of Bolivia - final corrections to thesis being made
- Year of Study:
- 2008 Entry
Dr S Pierson
This thesis is about the relation between participation and empowerment in two different contexts of the agricultural sector in Bolivia. It analyses a specific participatory method implemented along with technology innovation projects and depicts changes produced after a 2 year period with participating and non-participating farmers. The culture and history of the two contrasting sites – North Potosí and the Chaco regions - are analysed to evaluate its association with outcomes of the participatory implementation and, changes in the sense of empowerment and asset based components. Quantitative and qualitative methods were used to identify changes in the sense of empowerment experienced by farmers, as well as changes in structure and agency evaluated through a series of asset based components and cultural practices.
- Foundation for the Promotion and Research on Andean Products (PROINPA) - Bolivia: http://www.proinpa.org/
- International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) - Colombia: http://ciat.cgiar.org/
- International Potato Center (CIP) - Peru: http://www.cipotato.org/
- The McKnight Foundation - Crop Collaborative Research Program: http://mcknight.ccrp.cornell.edu/
Power, empowerment, participation, agricultural innovation, agency and structure, Bolivian agrarian history.