- Dr Diana Ibanez-Tirado
- Email address:
I am a social anthropologist trained at SOAS, University of London. My doctoral research investigated the relationship between subjectivity, temporality and everyday life in the Kulob region of southern Tajikistan. I theorised the importance of routines and repetition to notions of ‘normalcy’, analysed how extraordinary and apparently unexpected events ‘disrupted’ Kulob residents’ daily lives, and examined the ways in which Kulob residents dealt with such disruption unexpectedness. I analysed my ethnographic material in relation to overarching themes such as disasters, migration, family law, Islam and gender.
Currently, I am working on the postdoctoral project “Intimacy and touch: embodied care and the shaping of Muslim families in Tajikistan”, funded by The Camel Trust Small Grant for Anthropological Research (2015). This project examines forms of care that are sensuous and tactile, and investigates the ways in which this type of care and intimacy shapes the diverse arrangements of Muslim families in Tajikistan.
I have also conducted post-doctoral research on multi-ethnic family life in the cosmopolitan port city of Odessa in Ukraine with Professor Magnus Marsden (University of Sussex). I am also participating in a team-project with Professor Marsden and Dr David Henig (University of Kent) on anthropology, geopolitics and diplomacy.
- IBANEZ TIRADO, D. 2012. La Da’wa en México. In: Z. ZERAOUI, El Islam en América Latina, Limusa; México.
- IBAÑEZ TIRADO, D. 2009. “Clanes” en Tayikistán: hacia una perspectiva antropológica, Revista del Magíster en Antropología y Desarrollo, Universidad de Chile, 21, 20-44.
- IBANEZ TIRADO, D. 2007. Introduccion al Estudio de Asia Central, Mexico D.F.: Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico.
- IBANEZ TIRADO, D. 2007. Eventos Recientes en Asia Central, Revista de Estudios de Asia y Africa 133, Mexico, D.F.: El Colegio de Mexico, vol. XLI, no.1.
- Full-time PhD Scholarship awarded by Consejo Nacional de Ciencia y Tecnologia (CONACYT) 2008-2012.
- University of London Central Research Fund 2008/2009.
- Full-time MSc Scholarship awarded by Consejo Nacional de Ciencia y Tecnologia (CONACYT) 2004-2006.