Ms Yiming Shen
BA (PKU), MA (PKU), MA (SOAS)
- Ms Yiming Shen
- Email address:
- Thesis title:
- Chinese Islamic text studies in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries: A case study of Chinese translations of Jāmī’s Persian Sufi prose
BiographyI studied at Peking University (PKU) from 2000 to 2007 and receive a BA in Persian language and culture and an MA in Iranian Studies. After that, I worked as an assistant lecturer teaching Persian at PKU for two years. In 2009, I entered SOAS to study in Comparative Literature (Asia and Africa) and received an MA degree with merit. In September 2010, I became a PhD student at the department of China and Inner Asia at SOAS.
The topic of my PhD research is the Chinese Islamic text studies in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries: A case study of Chinese translations of Jāmī’s Persian Sufi prose. This research focuses in the field of Chinese Muslims’ translation studies in the Ming and Qing dynasties, through a comparison of original Persian Sufi works and their Chinese translations.
- “Mofang haishi chuangxin?: Dui Mingmo Qingchu Zhongwen Yisilan wenxian yanjiu de yidian xinsikao”模仿還是創新？——對明末清初中文伊斯蘭文獻研究的一點新思考, in Yilangxue zai Zhongguo lunwenji伊朗學在中國論文集, vol. 4, to be published in 2013.
- “Zhenjing zhaowei zhong de dong ci: Yu Lewayihe de Bosiyu shuyu de bijiao”《真境昭微》中的“動”詞——與《勒瓦一合》的波斯語術語的比較, in Yilangxue zai Zhongguo lunwenji伊朗學在中國論文集, vol. 4, to be published in 2013.
- “Zhuan zhi chuancheng: Hedayate jiqi zhuanji wenxue yanjiu傳之傳承: 赫達亞特及其傳記文學研究”, in Liu Shuxiong and Zhao Baisheng et al., Dongfang zuojia zhuanji wenxue yanjiu東方作家傳記文學研究, Beijing: Beijing Daxue chubanshe, 2012, 63-71.
- Trans. Deng, wo lai ximie燈，我來熄滅 (Persian novel), by Zoya Pirzad (Iran), Chongqing: Chongqing Chubanshe, 2012.
- “Hou Zhimin zhuyi fanyi lilun zai shijie wenxue zhong de yunyong: yi Ouma’er Haiyamu de Lubaiji fanyi weili”後殖民主義翻譯理論在世界文學中的運用——以歐瑪爾•海亞姆的<魯拜集>翻譯為例, in Dongfang wenxue yanjiu jikan東方文學研究集刊, vol. 6, Taiyuan: Beiyue wenyi chubanshe, 2011.
- 2012 - 2013 University of Chicago, Chicago, USA & The Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Paris, France
Member of the project “A Worldwide Literature: Jāmī (1414-1492) in the Dār al-Islām and Beyond”, responsible for Jāmī’s works in China.
- 2010 - 2012 Peking University, Beijing, China
Member of the project “Bosi gudian wenxue zhongde Zhongguo xingxiang yanjiu” 波斯古典文學中的中國形象研究, responsible for Omar Khayyam’s rubaiyat (quatrains).
- 24th February - 5th March 2012 Harvard University, Cambridge, USA
Participated in the 15th Annual Harvard East Asia Society Graduate Student Conference “Contours of Asia”, and presented the paper “Chinese Islamic Text Studies in the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries: A Case Study of hunhua渾化 and ke克 in Two Chinese Translations of Jāmī’s Persian Sufi Prose”.
- 27th June - 2nd July 2011 the Chinese University of Hong Kong, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
Participated in the Summer school “Reading Chinese Translation History”.
- 9th - 10th November 2010 Peking University, Beijing, China
Participated in the 5th seminar on Iranian Studies in China, and presented the paper “Mofang haishi chuangxin?: dui Mingmo Qingchu Zhongwen Yisilan wenxian yanjiu de yidian xinsikao”模仿還是創新？——對明末清初中文伊斯蘭文獻研究的一點新思考.
Chinese Islamic texts, Sufism, Persian literature.