Ms Eiko Gyogi
My research will examine a new approach to translation that goes beyond the consolidation of grammar. Translation has been widely used in tertiary-level language teaching and the Japanese language classroom. It has been criticised for its over-focus on lexical and grammatical structures in isolated, de-contextualized sentences, and sometimes considered as “traditional” way of teaching.
However, in recent years, learners are increasingly encouraged to find a “third place” (Kramsch, 1993) and serve as mediator (Coste et al., 2009) between languages and cultures, and this has led to re-evaluation of translation as a pedagogical means. Based on systematic functional linguistics (SFL) and critical applied linguistics, I will examine the use of translation for the development of intercultural competence, which increasingly becomes important in today’s world of increased mobility.
As a teacher of Japanese, I am also interested in various topics in applied linguistics and language pedagogy, including the use of the first language, heritage language learners and politeness.
This PhD project is funded by SOAS Research Scholarship, Meiji Jingu Japanese Student Research Scholarships, British Association for Japanese Studies (BAJS) postgraduate studentship, Japan Foundation Endowment Committee Grant, and British Council Japan Association (BCJA) Scholarship
I have been teaching Japanese at SOAS since September 2010, mainly to first-year BA Japanese students for 7 to 12 hours. I also taught Japanese at University of Reading from 2010 to 2012 for 2 to 4 hours. I have also been working as a freelance legal and financial translator for more than 5 years.
I am currently a steering committee member of the Centre for Language Pedagogy at SOAS.
Publications (as of November 2013)
- (in press) “異文化間能力の評価の試み [Attempt to Assess Intercultural Competence]”, Japanese Language Education in Europe 17 (the Proceedings of the 17th Japanese Language Symposium, 5-7 September 2013, Madrid, Spain). (in Japanese)
- Nov 2013 “言語教育における翻訳 [Translation in the Language Classroom]”, Kamizono: Journal of the Meiji Jingu Research Institute, 10. (in Japanese)
- Aug 2013 “Book review: Testing the Untestable in Language Education, edited by Amos Paran and Lies Sercu, Bristol, Multilingual Matters, 2010”, Assessment and Evaluation in Language Education, 3, 32-37.
- Mar 2013 “異文化間能力を育むための翻訳活用法 [Translation as a means to promote intercultural competence – teaching practice at elementary and intermediate classes]”, Center for Comparative Japanese Studies Annual Bulletin, 9, 167-173. (in Japanese)
Presentations (as of November 2013)
- Sep 2013 “異文化間能力の評価の試み [Attempts to Assess Intercultural Competence]” at 2013 Symposium on Japanese Language Education in Europe at Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain (in Japanese)(supported by BAJS Conference Support)
- Sep 2013 “大学で日本語を専攻する継承語学習者のインタビュー調査報告 [Interview Report on Japanese Heritage Learners Majoring Japanese at University]” at the Annual Conference of the British Association for Teaching Japanese as a Foreign Language (BATJ) with Ms. Miwako Kashiwagi at the University of Nottingham (in Japanese) (project funded by Japan Foundation Endowment Committee)
- July 2013 “Voices from the Japanese Language Classroom – “Honorifics do far more than politeness” at International (im)Politeness Conference on Teaching and Learning (Im)politeness at SOAS, University of London (supported by Great Britain Sasakawa Foundation Student Sponsorship)
- July 2013 “Towards the development of critical cultural awareness in language classrooms through translation: a reflection on the use of Katakana” at the Graduate Conference: New Research in Translation and Interpreting Studies 2013 at Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Tarragona, Spain (supported by SOAS Conference Allowance)
- June 2013 ““Dear Teacher Tom and Wife” – Elementary Learners of Japanese as Mediators Between Languages and Cultures” at the Cross-Cultural Pragmatics at a Crossroads III Conference at the University of East Anglia, Norwich
- Dec 2012 “異文化間能力を育むための翻訳活用法～初級・中級の日本語クラスでの実践～ [Translation as a means to promote intercultural competence – teaching practice at elementary and intermediate classes]” at the 7th Ochanomizu Japan Studies Consortium at Ochanomizu University, Tokyo, Japan (in Japanese)
- Sep 2012 “大学で日本語を専攻する継承日本語学習者に関する報告 [Report on Japanese Heritage Learners Majoring Japanese at University]” at the Annual Conference of the British Association for Teaching Japanese as a Foreign Language (BATJ) with Ms. Miwako Kashiwagi at University of Manchester (Poster presentation) (in Japanese) (project funded by Japan Foundation Endowment Committee)
- Jun 2012 “Influence of Mothers’ Belief About Bilingualism on Children: in Case of Children Attending a Japanese Complementary School in London” at the Annual Bloomsbury Roundtable on Communication, Cognition and Culture at Birkbeck College, University of London
- Sep 2011 “ロンドン補習校に通う子供の言語使用 [Language Use of Children Attending a Japanese Complementary School in London]” at the Annual Conference of the British Association for Teaching Japanese as a Foreign Language (BATJ) at University of Reading (Poster presentation) (in Japanese)