SOAS Programme Level 2
The aim of this programme is to deliver the objectives identified in the HR Strategy and Staff Survey 2007, referring to management development for middle managers, usually those on grades 7 & 8.
Competencies for each level of management will vary in emphasis and degree but at this level will include:
- Leadership - providing clarity of purpose and strategic direction for individuals and teams
- Change management - planning, project managing and decision-making
- Personal effectiveness – collaboration, influencing, interpersonal skills
- Development of the team and support of personal development planning
- Customer service: Understanding and communicating the importance of providing top quality service to all "clients"
Lecturers, senior lecturers and researchers (in their first few years) who lead or manage research or other teams; administrators who manage people / teams and have been in management roles for at least a year.
The 4-day Core Programme will be delivered in two 2-day blocks. You will need to attend both blocks to complete the Core Programme.
Day 1: Leadership and Delegation
Day 2: Building Teams
Day 3: Managing Performance
Day 4: Change Management
In addition to the Core Programme you will need to attend the following sessions to complete the SOAS Management Programme Level 2.
* Sessions on the core programme.
- Understanding and Leading Teams*
- Appraising Your Staff*
- Recruitment and Selection Parts 1 & 2
- Team Development and Motivation*
- Equality and Diversity Awareness
- Successful Meetings - Presenting Yourself
- Customer Care
- Leading in Health & Safety
- Project Management
- Change Management*
- Records Management
- Data Protection
- Freedom of Information
- Stress Management and Work-Life Balance
- Determining Priorities and Managing Time; Delegating
- Budget Management
For those who have completed, or nearly completed, Level 2 there will be an opportunity to attend the accredited CMI Introductory and Full Diploma in Management courses held at Senate House, subject to funds being available.
To book on the core programme or additional sessions you can apply for this course in one of two ways:
- Online (you need to register for Staff Self-Service first if you have not already done so)
- By downloading a request form from the link on the right