Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur)
SOAS is pleased to be taking part in the Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) scheme. The scheme is designed to enable non-European graduates that we identify as having developed genuine and credible business ideas or entrepreneurial skills, to extend their stay in the UK after graduation to establish one or more businesses.
SOAS can endorse up to 10 students per year on the scheme and we have been very successful in allocating places to our students.
Successful applicants will be granted a 12 month visa and have the chance to apply for a second 12 month visa if your business is making progress and financially sustainable. You may be able to work outside the business in order to support yourself financially, however you will be granted an Entrepreneur Visa and you will be expected to spend most of your time setting up and running the business. To read about those we've endorsed please read the interviews.
You can apply for the Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) visa whilst you are in the UK with a student, or the Tier 4 visa, or you can apply overseas anytime within 12 months after completing your course at SOAS.
Eligible individuals will be sponsored by SOAS for up to 12 months in the first instance with the possibility of an extension for a further 12 months, subject to Terms and conditions.
- If you have previously held a Tier 1 (Post Study Work) visa you will, unfortunately, not be eligible for the scheme.
- You will need to prove that you have held £945 for a consecutive 90-day period in your bank account, prior to submitting your Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) visa application if you are applying in the UK.
- If you are applying outside the UK you will need to prove that you have held £1,890 for a consecutive 90-day period in your bank account, prior to submitting your Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) visa application
- You can begin to work on your new business as soon as you have applied for your Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) visa, whilst you are waiting for a decision.
- You can also apply for the scheme if you are a SOAS sponsored Postdoctoral Researcher on a Tier 2 visa
- As well as starting your business, some work might permitted on the Tier 1 (GE) scheme except employment as doctor or dentist in training or professional sportsperson (including coach)
- If you have dependents, they can apply for a dependent visa to remain or come to the UK with you while you are on the Tier 1 (GE) scheme.
After endorsement, participants are required to engage with the Student Enterprise activities, attend monthly support peer to peer discussions groups and quarterly one to one meetings to make sure each participant gets the best support.
The Student Enterprise has rights to inform UK Visa and Immigration if participants are no longer participating in the scheme. Please see Guidelines for Students for more information.
Time spent on a Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) visa will not count towards settlement in the UK.
Please visit GOV.UK for the latest requirements and guidance on applying as you can apply whilst in the UK or overseas.
The next deadline is Friday 19 February, 12:00 midday
There will be a further deadline of Friday 17 June 2016, 12:00 midday, subject to endorsements being available.
Please email your applications to email@example.com
How to apply for an endorsement from SOAS
To register your interest in the scheme please complete the registration form. Please read the SOAS Student Guidelines and refer to the GOV.UK website to ensure you are fully aware of all the requirements.
In order to submit a full application you must do the following:
- Make an appointment with John Hitchman, Student Advisor (Immigration and Finance) to confirm visa status/immigration requirements
- Book an appointment with Student Enterprise Representative by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your business idea.
- Submit a completed Graduate Entrepreneur Visa Business Idea Plan Form (msword; 108kb) Basic cash information (vnd.ms-excel; 13kb) with your CV, highlighting relevant experience, a covering letter explaining why you wish to apply for a graduate entrepreneur visa
What happens next?
- Your application will be considered by a panel and you will be notified if you get through to the next stage of application
- If you are shortlisted, you will be required to present your idea to the panel. Presentations will take place on Tuesday 8th March 12:00 – 14:00 – a specific time slot will be allocated to you. You will be asked to give a 5 minute presentation, followed by up to 10 minutes Q&A. For those applying outside the UK, this will be conducted via Skype
- Successful applicants will then be provided with an endorsement letter from SOAS and then should consult the GOV.UK website to make an application for a graduate entrepreneur visa
- For those that are not shortlisted, or successful at presentation feedback will be given if requested and you will be able to re-apply, subject to their being visa endorsements available
Completed applications will not be considered if you have not discussed your idea with the Student Enterprise team and confirmed your eligibility to apply with the Student Advisor (Immigration and Finance).
For more information about the requirements of the visa please visit GOV.UK