[skip to content]

Student Advice and Wellbeing

Travelling In & Out Of The UK During Your Stay

If you are travelling abroad, for example on holiday, and you are planning to come back to the UK to continue your studies, you will again have to satisfy the Immigration Officer at the port of entry that you meet the requirements for entry to the UK as a student.

Before you travel abroad you should:
  • check that your passport is not going to expire while you are away, and if it is, apply to your Embassy for a new one in plenty of time before your trip. Carry both passports with you when you travel.
  • check that your current leave to enter/remain in the UK will not expire while you are away. If your leave to remain will expire then you may not be able to return to the UK. It is not possible to extend your leave to remain when you re-enter the UK. So do check and if in doubt make an appointment to see the International Student and Welfare Adviser who will advise you.
  • check with the embassy of the country you intend to visit whether or not someone of your nationality requires a visa to travel there. If you do require a visa, apply for a visitor visa at their Embassy in plenty of time. Information on how to apply can be found by checking their website.
Travelling within Europe – the Schengen Visa Scheme.

This allows visitors to obtain only one visa to visit a number of designated countries within the European Union. Twenty four countries are in the scheme at present – Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain And Sweden. You should apply either to the Embassy of the country you plan to spend most time in or the country you will go to first. Each embassy produces its own application form for the visa and you will need to contact the appropriate one by checking their website to find out what procedures you need to follow.

When you go on your trip, you should have the following documents with you, to show to the Immigration Officer when you return to the UK:
  • your passport or travel document
  • up-to-date evidence that you are a full-time student ie. a letter from Registry
  • evidence that you have enough money to support yourself.

If in doubt, make an appointment to see the International Student and Welfare Adviser who can advise you

Travelling after your studies have finished

We strongly advise against attempting to re-enter the UK after your studies have finished.  You will no longer meet the requirements for entry as a student, and you may be refused entry, or, at best admitted as a visitor (non-visa nationals only).  If you intend to switch to Tier 2 or another work status after your studies, we advise that you do this first before travelling.  Do not assume that you can simply re-enter the UK under your student visa, if you are no longer a student.