[skip to content]

Information for Students

Private Accommodation

More than 50% of SOAS students live in private accommodation. Most students live 20-40 minutes away from SOAS, usually near to stops on the Picadilly underground line – areas which are popular with SOAS students include Manor House, Finsbury Park, Holloway Road and Turnpike Lane.

Living in travel zone 1 can be expensive, but some choose to live close to the university and share their room with a partner or friend. But most students live in zones 2-4 where rent tends to be lower. You can expect to pay between 450 and 600 per month for a room in a shared house/fl at, depending on the area, size and proximity to tube station.

ULHS Private Sector Housing Cut 4

University of London Housing Services (ULHS)

If you prefer to live in the private sector, the ULHS offers guidance to new students. It maintains a database of private sector and university-owned accommodation including rooms in private homes, flat-shares, rooms with meals, flats and houses for groups of two or more students and couples, with or without families, whole blocks of self-catering flats for up to 136 students, lists of hotels, hostels and accommodation agencies.

ULHS provides expertise in all areas of looking for accommodation, including housing talks, legal advice for students experiencing difficulties with their housing and a contract checking service for students about to enter into a letting agreement.

Search for properties available for SOAS students through ULHS.

Other ULHS services include:

For details contact:
University of London Housing Services (ULHS)
4th Floor ULU Building, Malet Street, London  WC1E 7HY
Tel: +44 (0)20 7862 8880

The office, just round the corner from SOAS, is open to personal callers Monday–Friday, 10am–5pm, and on Saturdays in September from 10am–2pm. Information is also available on www.housing.london.ac.uk.

Check out the London Student Housing Guide: Information for students looking for private sector housing and possible links with others looking (open to any student coming to London so not specifically SOAS or the University of London) http://www.studenthousing.lon.ac.uk.

Postgraduates might find useful bed-and-breakfast and apartment options through sites like http://doctorhouse.co.uk.

Other useful websites include www.spareroom.co.uk and www.zoopla.co.uk to get an idea of what properties in London are like. It can be helpful to register with some lettings agents in your preferred areas to ensure you are kept up to date with new adverts.