SEC Results 2010/11
The student evaluation of courses results for 2010-2011 are summarised below. A detailed breakdown of results has been made available to Heads of Departments and other managers. A report will go to the relevant School and Faculty Committees for consideration. Recommendations will then be made to Academic Board.
The feedback given shows a high overall level of satisfaction with 81% of students satisfied with the quality of their course, and in general reflects well on the School’s teaching and student support.
Where we are doing well
The following highlights those areas that students were most happy with, by scoring 4 or 5 out of a maximum of 5 (mostly or definitely agreeing):
- 90% said that lecture sessions were regular and punctual.
- 89% said that teachers were enthusiastic about what they were teaching.
- 89% said that teachers prepared their teaching thoroughly.
- 92% said that they attended lecture sessions regularly.
- 90% said that they attended seminar/tutorial sessions.
- 87% said that the teachers in their lectures were good at explaining things.
Where we could do better
Those areas below scored less favourably, based on mostly or definitely agree:
- 64% said that the library resources were sufficient (a rise of 6% from 2009/10)
- 58% said that they had received helpful feedback from teachers about the progress of their course (a rise of 1% from 2009/10)
- 58% said they had received sufficient support and advice from the faculty office (a rise of 4% from 2009/10).
Where we have got better
- 82% said that teachers made the subject interesting (up 5 percentage points from 2009/10).
- 75% said that they were well prepared for lectures/seminars (up 4% from 2009/10).
- 72% said that teachers motivated them to work well (up 4% from 2009/10)
- 68% said that other students helped them to understand the course (up 5% from 2009/10)
School-wide responses to each question
|Question||Agree %||+/- on 2009/10||+/- on 2008/09|
|1. The teaching in my lectures|
|Teachers were good at explaining things.||87||+2||+1|
|Teachers made the subject interesting.||82||+5||+6|
|Teachers motivated me to work well.||72||+4||-2|
|Teachers were enthusiastic about what they were teaching.||89||+3||+1|
|Teachers made an effort to understand my difficulties.||70||+2||+3|
|Teachers prepared their teaching thoroughly.||89||+2||+3|
|Sessions were regular and punctual.||90||+1||+4|
|2. The teaching in my tutorials|
|Teachers were good at explaining things.||83||+3||+2|
|Teachers made the subject interesting.||78||+2||+2|
|Teachers motivated me to work well.||72||+3||-1|
|Teachers were enthusiastic about what they were teaching.||84||+3||0|
|Teachers made an effort to understand my difficulties.||75||+2||+1|
|Teachers prepared their teaching thoroughly.||82||+3||+5|
|Sessions were regular and punctual.||90||+1||+4|
|3. The assessment on my course|
|The assessment methods were appropriate to the course.||78||0||0|
|The criteria to be used in marking were clear in advance.||66||+3||-5|
|Course assessment arrangements and marking were fair.||73||0||-3|
|4. Knowledge and skills|
|I feel confident that I acquired knowledge of the subject.||81||+2||+5|
|The course was intellectually stimulating.||84||+3||+1|
|My interest in the subject has increased.||81||+3||+5|
|The course sharpened my analytical skills.||73||+3||-2|
|5. Student's contribution to the course|
|I attended lecture sessions regularly.||92||+1||+7|
|I was well prepared for lectures / seminars.||75||+4||+2|
|I attended seminar / tutorial sessions.||90||+1||+3|
|I contributed well to seminar discussions.||72||+3||+3|
|I submitted work on time.||85||+1||+2|
|6. Language students|
|The grammatical explanations given in class were clear.||65||-17||-12|
|The textbook(s) used for the course was/were very suitable.||57||-16||-17|
|There was the right balance between the teaching of speaking, reading and writing skills.||50||-15||-25|
|The stronger students were not allowed to dominate classes.||52||-15||-21|
|Written work was always marked helpfully and returned promptly.||63||-13||-6|
|7. Course organisation and management|
|The course was well-designed and ran smoothly.||81||+1||+7|
|The course enabled me to pursue my academic interests.||78||+3||+1|
|I found the overall workload was appropriate.||77||+3||+12|
|I was given enough time to absorb what I had to learn.||65||+3||+2|
|It was clear what I was required to attend, prepare, and do throughout the course.||81||0||+5|
|8. Support and advice|
|I received helpful feedback from teachers about my progress on the course.||58||+1||+6|
|I had sufficient contact with my teachers.||68||+3||-2|
|I found other students helped me understand the course.||68||+5||+1|
|I received sufficient support and advice from the faculty office.||58||+4||+14|
|9. Learning resources|
|Paper based course materials were useful.||82||+2||+5|
|Online course materials were useful||80||0||+2|
|The library resources were sufficient.||64||+5||+6|
|I was always able to access general IT resources when required.||68||+1||+1|
|Overall, I was satisfied with the quality of the course.||81||+1||+1|