How to Apply and Guidelines
Eligibility: Who can apply?
We welcome applications from students studying in all countries at either the undergraduate or postgraduate level.
In addition to Study Abroad, SOAS also has Erasmus Exchange agreements with some universities in Europe and also exchange agreements in Japan, South Korea and India. You may be eligible to apply via one of these programmes, but should use the same application.
Please see the Study Abroad/Exchange Application Form linked on the right side of this page.
The application is meant to be completed electronically, saved and then scanned
The applicant/student should complete Step 1 of the Application Form (TYPE OF APPLICATION, STUDENT DETAILS, HOME INSTITUTION and sign the STUDENT DECLARATION)
Then, the applicant/student should collect the necessary documents in Step 2 (ACADEMIC REFERENCE, OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT, ENGLISH LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY (if applicable) and PASSPORT).
The student/applicant will then submit all documents to his/her International/ Erasmus /Exchange /Study Abroad Office for the completion of Step 3 (CONFIRMATION OF APPLICANT SUITABILITY, REQUIRED COURSES TO COMPLETE HOME DEGREE, FEES & SPONSORSHIP DETAILS, TRANSCRIPT MAILING ADDRESS and sign the INTERNATIONAL/ERASMUS/EXCHANGE/STUDY ABROAD OFFICE DECLARATION)
Upon completion of all sections of this form, please gather the following documents listed below and save all documents into one PDF per student. Please save the PDF as 'FAMILY NAME, Given Name' and e-mail one PDF per student to email@example.com and copy the student on the e-mail.
If saving as one PDF is not possible, please save this form as one pdf and gather supplemental documents into an additional PDF. Applications will not be accepted in hard copy.
Students wishing to apply directly for the SOAS Study Abroad programme must ensure that their application reaches the School by the following dates:
September Start: Full year / Term 1: 30 June
January Start: Terms 2 & 3: 30 October
Please note that these are the deadlines for direct application only. If you are applying through a provider then please contact them for their application deadline dates.
Late applications are considered at the discretion of the Study Abroad Office; however, acceptance after the deadline is not guaranteed.
Advice and guidance
We hope that the information on this website will answer all of your initial queries and give you a good overview of what Study Abroad at SOAS is like. If you have any specific queries, please feel free to email us with your questions (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please remember that you will also need to seek approval from the Study Abroad/International Programs Office at your home institution as they will need to support your application to SOAS. If your home institution does not have a Study Abroad advisor, you should discuss your application to SOAS with your tutors.
Application through Study Abroad Provider:
Alternatively you can apply through one of the providers below, all of which have offices in the US. If you are considering applying to SOAS through any of these organisations then please contact the following:
Arcadia University, Center for Education Abroad:
Institute for Study Abroad (IFSA):
Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE):
Global Learning Semesters, Inc:
Before making your application, please consider the following:
- Do you meet the SOAS entry requirements?
- Do you have the support of your home institution and will they accept the credit transfer for the classes which you have taken at SOAS?
- Have you checked the SOAS Study Abroad application deadlines as well as any deadlines your home institution may have?
- Are there any specific academic requirements which you must fulfil during your time at SOAS? If approval from your home school is dependent on you taking certain classes while at SOAS, please check with us in advance that the classes are running (email@example.com)
- Are you able to finance Study Abroad at SOAS? Please check with your home school that any financial aid or scholarships you receive will still be valid for Study Abroad. SOAS Study Abroad applicants (who are not eligible for the Erasmus exchange) can apply for the Butex Scholarship.
- Please also consider the cost of living in London – see living expenses for more information.