How to Apply and Guidelines
Eligibility: Who can apply?
Although the majority of students on the Study Abroad programme are undergraduates from US institutions, we welcome applications from students studying in other countries. Students applying from a non-US institution can contact us for information about tuition fees and entry requirements. SOAS does have Socrates/ Erasmus exchange agreements with some universities in Europe and also exchange agreements in Japan and Korea and so if you are a student from these areas then you may be eligible to apply through the exchange programme.
SOAS accepts direct applications for its Study Abroad programme.
A statement is required from your International Office or Academic Dean confirming that you have permission to study abroad. In addition, we require one reference, which should be supplied by someone who knows you well academically, such as your tutor.
Once we have received your application form, it will be assessed by our tutors. You will normally be notified of the School's decision within one month of receipt.
There is a PDF of the application form to download on the right of this page. A printed version of the application form can also be obtained from the Study Abroad office. SOAS accommodation should be applied for after an offer has been made.
Students wishing to apply directly for the SOAS Study Abroad programme must ensure that their application reaches the School by the following dates:
Full year / Term 1: 30 June
Terms 2 & 3: 30 October
Please note that these are the deadlines for direct application only. If you are applying through a provider then please contact them for their application deadline dates.
Late applications are considered at the discretion of the Study Abroad Office however due to a demand in places acceptance after the deadline is not guaranteed. If you are applying after the deadline then please contact the Study Abroad Office in advance to check availability of places.
Please note that accommodation is offered on a first come, first served basis, so early application is advised.
Advice and guidance
We hope that the information on this website will answer all of your initial queries and give you a good overview of what Study Abroad at SOAS is like. If you have any specific queries, please feel free to email us with your questions (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please remember that you will also need to seek approval from the Study Abroad/International Programs Office at your home institution as they will need to support your application to SOAS. If your home institution does not have a Study Abroad advisor, you should discuss your application to SOAS with your tutors.
Application through API, Arcadia University, IFSA, CIEE, Global Semesters or IES Abroad
Alternatively you can apply through one of the providers below, all of which have offices in the US. If you are considering applying to SOAS through any of these organisations then please contact the following:
Academic Programs International (API):
Arcadia University, Center for Education Abroad:
Institute for Study Abroad (IFSA):
Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE):
Global Learning Semesters, Inc:
Before making your application, please consider the following:
- Do you meet the SOAS entry requirements?
- Do you have the support of your home institution and will they accept the credit transfer for the classes which you have taken at SOAS?
- Have you checked the SOAS Study Abroad application deadlines as well as any deadlines your home institution may have?
- Are there any specific academic requirements which you must fulfil during your time at SOAS? If approval from your home school is dependent on you taking certain classes while at SOAS, please check with us in advance that the classes are running (email@example.com)
- Are you able to finance Study Abroad at SOAS? Please check with your home school that any financial aid or scholarships you receive will still be valid for Study Abroad. SOAS Study Abroad applicants (who are not eligible for the Erasmus exchange) can apply for the Butex Scholarship.
- Please also consider the cost of living in London – see living expenses for more information.