Centre of Taiwan Studies Seminars and Events
The SOAS Centre of Taiwan Studies is the world’s leading institution for Taiwan Studies academic events.
During term time it holds regular Centre of Taiwan Studies Seminars and lectures, in which scholars working on Taiwan present their research to the wider UK Taiwan studies community. Many of these seminars and lectures are closely related to our Taiwan Studies teaching courses. We also hold roundtables related to topical social and political issues, such as on Taiwan’s elections.
In June or July we hold the popular annual Centre of Taiwan Studies Summer School. Each year we invite a range of Taiwan specialists to SOAS to share their research findings on a different set of themes. The summer school is a free event open to any postgraduate student working on a Taiwan topic.
Since 2013 we have run the Understanding Taiwan through Film and Documentary screening series. This involves film screenings followed by Q&As with invited directors, film critics and scholars. The films screened are closely related to one or more of our Taiwan studies teaching courses.
In addition, we aim to host one international Taiwan Studies conference every year. These tend to be collaborative projects with other Taiwan or East Asian institutes and are designed with the aim of producing a book or journal special edition publication.
Since 2007 we have worked together with Heidelberg, Edinburgh and Tubingen Universities to run a collaborative Taiwan Studies Lecture Series supported by the Chiang Ching-kuo Foundation. This involves outstanding Taiwanese scholars coming to Europe to give lectures at the participating universities.
In 2004 we helped establish the European Association of Taiwan Studies (EATS). The EATS conference is held in a different European city each year and is the most important date in the European Taiwan studies calendar. Although we no longer manage EATS, we work closely together in promoting European Taiwan Studies.
(For more event photos, please check our Facebook)
- How Westminster 'Dealt' with Taiwan: A Study of UK Taiwan Relations in the Post-war Era
Speaker: Michael Rand Hoare
- The Impacts of Changing Ruling Parties in Taiwan: Continuity and Change
Speakers: Isabelle Cheng (Portsmouth) Dafydd Fell (SOAS), Simona Grano (Zurich), Lee Chun-yi (Nottingham), Ming-yeh Rawnsley (SOAS and Topical Issue Editor)
- Documenting Student Movements in Taiwan: An Audience with Documentary Film Maker Chiang Wei-hua
Speaker: Director Chiang Wei-hua
- Film Screenings: (1) Let It Be 無米樂 (2) Hand In Hand 牽阮的手 with Q&A with Directors Juang Yi-tseng 莊益增 and Yen Lan-chuan 顏蘭權
Speakers: Directors Yen Lan-chuan 顏蘭權 and Juang Yi-tseng 莊益增
- The Gangster’s God - A Film of the Taiwanese Underworld (炸神明) and Q&A with Director Ho Chao-ti
Speaker: Director Ho Chao-ti
- Friending the Enemy: the White Group and the KMT's Pursuit of an alliance with Post-imperial Japan
Speaker: Dr Barak Kushner (University of Cambridge)
- Picturing History: Models of Cross-strait Lineage Construction for Taiwanese Buddhism
Speaker: Dr. Stefania Travagnin, University of Groningen