Taiwan Studies Courses
Over the last decade the SOAS has become the world's leading provider of Taiwan studies teaching courses. We offer the widest range of postgraduate courses on Taiwan of any university in Europe or North America. These include in depth courses on Taiwan's politics, film, society and culture, rights and law, and languages. We offer the only year-long Hokkien course in Europe and a course that compares Taiwan's politics and political economy with Korea and Japan. These courses are available to students on a wide range of postgraduate degrees including MA Chinese Studies, MSc Asian Politics, MA Pacific Asian Studies, MSc International Politics, MA International Studies and Diplomacy, MA Japanese Studies, MSc State, Society and Development, MA Taiwan Studies, MSc Politics of China and many more. In addition the courses are open to Master students from other University of London degrees.
Postgraduate Taiwan Courses:
- Taiwan's Politics and Cross-Strait Relations
- Culture and Society of Taiwan (Term 1) (half unit)
- Modern Film from Taiwan and the Chinese Diaspora (Term 2) (half unit)
- Law, Rights and Society in Taiwan (Term 2) (half unit)
- Northeast Asian politics: Japan, Korea and Taiwan
- Elementary spoken Hokkien (Minnanyu, Taiwanese)
Undergraduate Taiwan Courses
We now also have two courses available to undergraduates. These are unique courses unavailable at any other university in Europe or North America. They are open to second, third or fourth year students as options or floaters on a wide range of SOAS undergraduate degrees.
- Taiwan's Politics and International Relations (153400072)
Elementary Spoken Hokkien (Minnanyu, Taiwanese)
Short Courses on Taiwan
We also specialise in short intensive courses on Taiwan. Every year we hold short courses at the SOAS Taiwan Studies Summer School and also have taught intensive courses at a number of universities in Germany.