[skip to content]

International Students

Information for Prospective Students from Vietnam

Vietnam Flag

Welcome to the country page for Vietnam, which contains specific information for Vietnamese students interested in studying at SOAS.


Devina Sivagurunathan is the International Officer for Vietnam and would be very happy to answer any questions you may have about applying to and studying at SOAS. Please feel free to contact her on ds49@soas.ac.uk or +44 (0)20 7898 4031.  

Minimum Entry Requirements

The below are guidelines only and do not guarantee entry. Each application will be judged on its own merits.


The Upper Secondary School Graduation Certificate (Tot Nghiep Pho Thong Trung Hoc) is not acceptable as an entry qualification for SOAS. Applicants from Vietnam would be expected to offer, either instead or in addition, one of the following:

  • A foundation course. The International Foundation Courses and English Language Studies Centre (IFCELS) at SOAS offers a preparatory year for international students seeking entry to undergraduate degrees at British universities.
  • 3 A-levels
  • The International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma
  • At least 5 'Group A' Advanced Placement subjects (see the College Board and UCAS websites)
  • A University of London External Programme qualification
  • A year of university study from another institution

Please see the individual undergraduate degree programme descriptions for specific course requirements. Information about how to apply can be found on the undergraduate admissions pages and on the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) website.


To be considered for admissions to SOAS Masters programmes, we require a master's Degree/Thac si with a grade of 7.0 (Good). We may also consider a four year bachelor degree/Bang tot ngheip dai hoc with excellent grades (8.0) on a case by case basis. For further information please contact Anja Funston or Masters Admissions (mastersadmissions@soas.ac.uk).
In addition to the above minimum entrance requirements, you should also refer to the individual programme entries in the postgraduate prospectus or on our postgraduate admissions pages, which may have additional requirements.
Research applicants would normally be expected to have completed a Masters qualification equivalent to a UK Masters degree from a good university.

English Language Proficiency

Applicants whose first language is not English must also show their level of English. For more information please visit the English entry requirements page. SOAS does offer English summer courses (‘pre-sessionals’) for those who do not meet the exact entry requirements so that students have the opportunity to improve their language skills before beginning academic study.

Foundation Courses

Those applicants who do not meet the above entry requirements or would like to improve their English language before studying for a degree, could consider applying for one of the foundation degrees offered at the SOAS IFCELS centre. Students can improve their English while studying academic courses in an area of their choice, including Development Studies, International Business, Media and Communication and International Politics.

In-Country Representatives

SOAS works with Mentor International in Vietnam and you can contact Mentor directly to ask any questions about applying to and studying at SOAS.
Mentor International- Vietnam
18A /33 Nguyen
Thi Minh Khai
Ward Da Kao
District 1
Ho Chi Minh City
84 (8) 4042402
info@mentor.ac or nui@vnn.vn


SOAS offers a wide-range of scholarships, bursaries and awards to support students, including 11 SOAS Masters scholarships for £14, 670, which is open to any Masters student studying full-time.
A number of scholarships are also provided by the University of London, the British Government and other external organisations, for a list please visit scholarships and bursaries.

Employment Opportunities

If you apply for a visa before you arrive in the UK then you should be eligible to work part-time or volunteer during your programme of study. This visa will allow you to work part-time during the term (up to 20 hours a week) and any number of hours during the vacations. However, you should check before you apply for a job that your visa will allow you to do this particular kind of work.
Please be aware that to meet immigration rules for students, you have to show that you have enough money to support yourself during your studies without needing to work. For comprehensive advice on working in the UK, please visit the UKCISA website: www.ukcisa.org.uk

SOAS Careers Service

The SOAS Careers Service can help you to find volunteering opportunities and can provide information and advice on finding paid employment during your studies and after graduation.
There will be a number of jobs (both voluntary and paid) within SOAS itself (for example, in the Students’ Union or cafe) and you can look out for these opportunities through the Careers Service or via the Students’ Union.


If you have any questions for an alum of SOAS currently living in Vietnam then you can contact Adam McCarty (SOAS Lecturer 1996-8), adaminhanoi@gmail.com

Useful Links

The British Council is the British Government's international organisation for educational and cultural relations. Their Vietnam website is designed for those seeking information and advice on education and contemporary arts in the UK.

Education UK is produced by the British Council to help international students interested in a UK course or qualification.

UKCISA - The UK Council for International Students Affairs provides information on many aspects of studying overseas, including visas and working while studying.

The UK Border Agency also has up to date information on immigration and visa requirements.

UCAS - The Universities and Colleges Admission Service is the body through which all applications for undergraduate study must be made.

College Board is an organisation aimed at helping international students find courses and universities in the UK.