[skip to content]


If you are a non-EEA student (Visa National), you must ensure that you have a valid visa before you commence your studies at SOAS. Your visa should be valid for the duration of your course.
If you require a Tier-4 Student Visa, you have to request a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from us as soon as possible. Without the CAS issued by SOAS, you will be unable to apply for your Tier-4 Student Visa.

If you already have a visa which is due to expire before the end of December 2014, you must ensure that you have made an application for a new or extended visa before you attend SOAS. Applications to renew or extend a visa can be made 3 months before the course year.

If you hold a different type of visa (not Tier-4 Student Visa), which will expire before the end of your course, you must ensure that you apply for a visa extension. We will still be able to enrol you onto your programme. However, you must ensure that you apply for a new or extended visa before your current visa expires. The Registry will keep in contact with you about this during the year.

What is a CAS and how can I obtain it?

Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) is an electronic document issued to you by SOAS. Your CAS will be valid for use in a Tier 4 application for six months from the date that it was generated by us.

You should submit your request for a CAS by emailing the relevant Admissions Team:

Please be aware that if you have been studying in the UK at a different university and currently have a Tier-4 Student Visa, you must still apply for a CAS from us (even if your visa will still be valid at the start of your degree programme), as you will not be able to study with us if your current sponsorship is from a different UK institution.

For more information please visit Entry Clearance and Student Visas section of SOAS Admissions website.

Police Registration

You need to read your visa carefully once it has been issued to check for any restrictions or conditions of your visa. Some visas will require you to register with the police when you arrive in the UK. We will help you to do this by providing you with the necessary forms and detailed instructions when you enrol during Welcome Week.

Completed forms must be submitted to the SOAS Registry by the end of October 2014. The exact deadlines will be provided closer to Welcome Week. We will check the forms, issue you with a letter confirming receipt and forward them to the Police on your behalf.

You will then need to register in person with the police. Further details can be found on the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) and Metropolitan Police websites.

Document Requirements at Enrolment

When you attend SOAS for your enrolment we will need to see the following documents as part of the process:

(If you currently have a valid visa for studying at SOAS)

  • Valid Passport, containing your visa page or
  • Valid Passport and your Biometric Residence Permit ( BRP )

(If you are in the process of applying for a visa)

  • Copy of the photo page of your passport
  • Copy of the visa application
  • Proof of visa application submission (eg receipt of postage; confirmation from the UK Visas and Immigration that your application has been received)

If you are unable to provide these documents, we will not be able to complete your enrolment.

If you need more advice about visas, please contact our International Welfare Office, who will be happy to discuss any matters with you.