16 Days of Activism Panel Event | SOAS EDI Thought Leadership Series
6:15 pm to 8:00 pm
- Brunei Gallery
- Lecture Theatre 286
- Event type
- Event highlights
About this event
Content warning: Attendees are advised of themes of sexual violence, racism and domestic abuse.
Our second Thought Leadership event of the term is set to take place on Tuesday 6th December to mark the global 16 Days Against Gender-Based Violence campaign.
This event will include a discussion, facilitated by radical education consultant co-founder of Minds of PoC, Oge Obioha on the role of collectivism in charity work in addressing gender based violence in 2022. We will also be joined by advocates from the charity sector including:
- Ngozi Fulani is a SOAS alum and CEO of Sistah Space, a charity providing specialist support for African & Caribbean heritage women affected by abuse
- Christabel Yeboah, CEO of Hersana CIC - the first national Gender-Based Violence Support Service for Black women and girls. A not-for-profit organisation working to end violence against women and girls in all its forms whilst providing holistic support to Black femmes who have experienced any form of gender-based violence.
- Dr Lucy Allwright is the Lived Experience Programme Manager for the AVA charity that specialises in training, resources, consultancy and end Violence Against Women and Girls through policy, research and prevention work.
- Raf Galdeano is a Specialist LGBTQ+ IDVA (Independent Domestic Violence Advisor) at LGBT Switchboard that provides an information, support and referral service for lesbians, gay men and bisexual and trans people – and anyone considering issues around their sexuality and/or gender identity.
The talk will explore themes such as who has access to ‘victimhood’ and the effectiveness of bystander interventions, threats to charity provision with specialist services for minoritised groups.
This event is being held as part of SOAS University of London's Equality, Diversity & Inclusion (EDI) Thought Leadership Series.
Find out more about EDI at SOAS, and the Thought Leadership series
- Event date: Tuesday 6 December 2022
- Event time:18:15 - 20:00
- Location: Brunei Gallery, Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square, London WC1H 0XG
Please note that this is a public event and will be livestreamed and recorded.
For in person attendees, we will close registration at 18:00. However, you will be able to get a ticket at the door. Please start arriving from 18:15.
For virtual attendees, the event will be streamed via the Zoom platform. The event link will be sent on the day of the event.
The Brunei Gallery is a wheelchair accessible space. For more information on access please contact the venue
For accesibility requests, please select to 'contact the organiser' on this page.
This event forms part of the Thought Leadership Series, designed to cultivate an intellectual community that facilitates learning and reflection on contemporary global questions.
Thought Leadership distinguishes itself as an event series by empowering the voices of activists to enact change and awareness in the SOAS community.
Find out more about Equality, Diversity and Inclusion at SOAS University London.