Week beginning Monday 08 January 2018
- Combating Terrorism: Lessons from Iraq
H.E Dr Hussain Al-Shahristani
Annual CISD Lecture.
Event followed by a reception.
- Persian Calligraphy, Nasta'liq Script
Persian Calligraphy Course.
Dr Andrew Ollett (Harvard), Prof Paul Dundas (Edinburgh), and Lucas den Boer (Leiden)
- The Tunisian community of Mazara del Vallo (Sicily): Issues in language contact, change and identity
Luca D’Anna (Mississippi)
- Early Depictions of Nath Yogis in Western India
Dr James Mallinson (Senior Lecturer in Sanskrit and Classical Indian Studies, SOAS)
- The Liberal Project: A Sketch
Tom Young (SOAS)
- Travel, Tourism, Pilgrimage and Anthropological Theory
Professor Tom Selwyn, Professorial Research Associate, SOAS
- Japan's post-war migration: topic, method, and research
Pedro Iacobelli (Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile)
- North Korea and China
Hazel Smith (Professor Emeritus, Cranfield University; Professorial Research Associate, Centre of Korean Studies, SOAS) and Steve Tsang (SOAS)
- An encounter with Siavash Ardalan
Siavash Ardalan, journalist
- Human Rights Futures
Helena Kennedy (Oxford), Joanne Mariner (Amnesty International), David Mepham (Human Rights Watch), Jack Snyder (Columbia University) and Leslie Vinjamuri (SOAS)
- The Hadassah and Daniel Khalili Memorial Lecture in Islamic Art and Culture
Dr Simon Rettig, Assistant Curator of Islamic Art, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C.
The Calligrapher, the Painter, and the Patron: A New Perspective on the Freer Khusraw u Shirin
- An exhibition of Artists responses to the - 'Legacies of Biafra'
Guest Curator: Louisa Egbunike
This multi-media show will feature artwork, which explores the on-going impact of war locally and globally, considering how the first civil war in post-independence Africa has influenced the perception of the continent internationally, as well as reshaping the social and political structures within Nigeria.
- Xenofeminism: a politics for alienation
Helen Hester with Anna Mikkola
Chair: Emily Jones
- From Tribal Forest to Urban Jungle
Photographs from Central India by Verrier Elwin
This Exhibition of Photographs from Central India was first shown in 2017 in Patangarh village in eastern Madhya Pradesh. From Tribal Forest to Urban Jungle now brings these photographs of the tribal people and cultures of Central India as seen through the lens of Verrier Elwin, back to the UK.
- Da Nang Catalogue launch
This event will launch the new Southeast Asian Art Academic Programme funded Da Nang Museum catalogue 'Vibrancy in Stone'.
- The Mysticism of Anatolian & Alevi Folk Music
HUSEYIN KAPLAN & DURSUN CAN CAKIN
- Bonyad Jaleh Esfahani Annual Event
An evening of poetry and music in memory of Jaleh Esfahani.