Week beginning Monday 25 May 2020
- Conflict and Migration in Times of COVID-19
Professor Michael Charney (SOAS), Adjunct Professor Sara Pennicino (Johns Hopkins Unviersity SAIS). Moderator: Assistant Professor Nina Hall (Johns Hopkins Unviersity SAIS)
- The COVID-19 Healthcare Crisis: Greece and the EU (webinar)
Ourania Dimakou, SOAS University of London
- Michael Jordan and Basketball’s Global Growth” A Virtual Roundtable & Discussion (webinar)
Dr J Simon Rofe (SOAS), Dr Lindsay Sarah Krasnoff (SOAS) + more tbc
This virtual roundtable will discuss Michael Jordan’s impact on global basketball.
- Corporations and COVID-19: Bailout Saviours (webinar)
Carolina Alves, University of Cambridge & Farwa Sial, University of Manchester
- Nerds of Yoga: The Path of Knowledge through Philosophical Doxography
Dr Karl-Stéphan Bouthillette
- COVID-19: Can Linguists Save Lives? (Virtual event)
Dr Mandana Seyfeddinipur, Dr Pierpaolo Di Carlo
Dr Mandana Seyfeddinipur, Director of the SOAS World Languages Institute and Head of the Endangered Languages Archive and Dr Pierpaolo Di Carlo an anthropologist and linguist at the University at Buffalo will be discussing the role linguists play in translating COVID-19 related information into endangered languages.
- Why we need to Freeze Weapons Now
Martin Butcher (Oxfam), Dr Olamide Samuel (SOAS, SCRAPWeapons), Anant Saria (SOAS, SCRAPWeapons), Rut Einarsdottir (SOAS, SCRAPWeapons). Chair: Julia Auf Dem Brinke (SOAS, SCRAPWeapons)
Propelled by the devastating impact of the COVID-19 coronavirus globally, the SCRAP Weapons team at SOAS University of London is building on the United Nations Secretary General’s call for a Global Ceasefire in all corners of the world.