Week beginning Monday 02 November 2020
- What Is Xi Fighting? The Dynamics of Corruption in Post-Mao China
Professor Andrew Wedeman (Georgia State University)
Analysis of the anti-corruption crackdown launched by Xi Jinping in late 2012, early 2013 shows its primary effect was to dramatically increase the number of senior officials – popularly known as “tigers” – charged with corruption.
- Equal Justice: Fair Legal Systems in an Unfair World
Frederick Wilmot-Smith Fellow, All Souls College, University of Oxford
- China Straddling the Persian Gulf
Jonathan Fulton (Zayed University - Abu Dhabi, UAE)
China is a major economic actor in the Persian Gulf and its expansive Belt and Road Initiative ambitions add a strategic element. In an intensely competitive regional security environment, China has maintained an unusual approach, deepening ties with all Gulf states, perhaps best exemplified by its comprehensive strategic partnerships with Iran and its rivals Saudi Arabia and the UAE.
- “Blogging from Egypt: Digital Literature”
Speaker: Teresa Pepe (Oslo)
- The Hokum of Neo-Liberalism: Revisiting Sivanandan’s Political Economy (Webinar)
Dr John Narayan (King's College London)
- Introducing Translation Criticism from an Eco-translation Perspective: Concepts and Applications
Speaker: Dr. Kacey LIU (Hong Kong Shue Yan University)
- UK University Official Recruitment Fair - China (英国大学官方线上招生展 - 中国站）
Ms Maggie Dziem, Dr Dafydd Fell, Dr Pedith Chan, Prof. Christine Oughton, Dr Jakob Klein, Ms Lu Wanlin, Dr Yorgos Dedes, Prof. Rachel V. Harrison
Would you like to find out more about SOAS and our programmes? Would you like to meet our academics? Register for the fair and listen to a live broadcast on Yizhibo!
- TPNWCP Thomas Lin Shu-Yu Series: Thomas Lin Shu-Yu Director's Q&A
Director Thomas Lin Shu-Yu 林書宇