Week beginning Monday 10 May 2021
- Private appointment with Maggie@SOAS (欢迎所有的学生跟亚非学院的代表人网上预约）
MS Maggie Dziem, International Recruitment Manager for China
Have a chat with Maggie, our International Recruitment Manager for China!
- Private appointment with Maggie@SOAS
Ms Maggie Dziem
Have a chat with Maggie, our International Recruitment Manager for East Asia!
- War and Genocide in South Sudan
Clémence Pinaud (Indiana University, Bloomington)
Using more than a decade's worth of fieldwork in South Sudan, Clémence Pinaud here explores the relationship between predatory wealth accumulation, state formation, and a form of racism―extreme ethnic group entitlement―that has the potential to result in genocide.
- Recovering China’s Maritime History
Valerie Hansen (Stanley Woodward Professor of History, Yale University)
China’s long history as a powerful agrarian state has distracted many from its very real engagement with the ocean. Its contacts with South and Southeast Asia, the Middle East, and East Africa date back to the year 1000 and even before.
- LGBTQ Iran: Art, Activism and Therapy of Trans theatre in Iran
For the third session on LGBTQ Iran, Saman Arastoo, Iranian actor, director and activist, will share his life of being trans in Iran.
- Modern Monetary Theory (MMT) and Current US Monetary Policy
Costas Lapavitsas (SOAS) and Nicolás Águila (Centro Interdisciplinario para el Estudio de Políticas Públicas, CIEPP)
- Beyond the Canon: Calligraphies in Arabic Script at the Frontiers of the Islamic World
Professor Éloïse Brac de la Perrière, Professor of Islamic Art and Archaeology, Sorbonne University, Paris
- Vaccination and Rabbinic Literature in the Pre-Modern(a) Era
Rabbi Prof. Edward Reichman, MD, Professor of Emergency Medicine, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Yeshiva University New York