The Government and Home Office have confirmed the scheme and process for applying for EU Settled status. Please find information below on the scheme including some links to further reading.

The Scheme

If you’re a European Union (EU) citizen living in the UK, you and your family can apply for ‘settled status’ if you want to continue living here after June 2021.

You will not need to apply if you’re an Irish citizen or have indefinite leave to remain, but your family members from outside the UK and Ireland will.

The scheme will open fully by March 2019. The deadline for applying will be 30 June 2021. You may be able to apply after this date if you’re joining a family member in the UK.

Rights for citizens of Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland are still being negotiated.

Getting settled status means you can continue to live and work in the UK for as long as you like. It will mean you’re eligible for:

  • public services, such as healthcare and schools
  • public funds and pensions
  • British Citizenship , if you meet the requirements


To be eligible for settled status, you’ll need to:

  • be an EU citizen, or a family member of an EU citizen
  • have been living in the UK continuously for 5 years ('continuous residence')
  • have started living in the UK by 31 December 2020

If you’ve lived in the UK for less than 5 years, you’ll generally be eligible for ‘pre-settled status’ instead. If you’re a non-EU citizen, you will need to show your relationship to an EU citizen living here.

‘Continuous residence’

Continuous residence means you’ve been in the UK for at least 6 months in each of those 5 years, except for:

  • one period of up to 12 months for an important reason (for example, to work or study)
  • compulsory military service

If you will not have 5 years’ continuous residence when you apply

You’ll generally get ‘pre-settled status’ instead.

Pre-settled status means you can stay in the UK for a further 5 years. You can live and work here, and will have access to public funds and services on the same basis as you do now.

Once you have 5 years’ continuous residence you can apply for settled status.

Settled status for your child

You’ll need to apply on behalf of your child so they can get settled status, unless they’re a British citizen. If you’re eligible to apply, any children you have aged under 21 will also be eligible, even if they arrive in the UK after 31 December 2020.

If you’re overseas and a family member of an EU citizen living in the UK

If you’re not living in the UK by 31 December 2020, you’ll be able to apply to join your family member here after that date if both:

  • your family member is eligible to apply and your relationship existed by 31 December 2020
  • you're a close family member, for example a spouse, civil partner, a dependant child or grandchild, or a dependent parent or grandparent

Applying for settled status

The scheme will open fully by March 2019. The deadline for applying will be 30 June 2021. You may be able to apply after this date if you’re joining a family member in the UK.

The application form will be online. There will also be an Android App that can be used to apply. You will not receive a residence card of biometric card confirming your status since employers will use your current EU passport number to check you status.

What you’ll need

When you apply, you’ll need proof of:

  • your identity
  • your residence in the UK, unless you have a valid permanent residence document or valid indefinite leave to remain
  • your relationship to a family member from the EU living in the UK, if you're from outside the EU
Proof of identity

You’ll need a valid passport or national identity card. If you’re from outside the EU, you can use a valid passport or biometric residence card.

When you apply, you’ll be able to either:

  • scan your identity document using an Android mobile phone or tablet
  • send your document by post

You’ll also need to upload a recent digital photo of your face.

Proof of residence

You can give the Home Office permission to check HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) data that may show how long you’ve lived in the UK.

You may need to provide evidence to prove your residence, for example:

  • P60s
  • bank statements
  • utility bills

You’ll be able to submit scans of these documents through the online application form.

You will not need to provide evidence of your entire residence in the UK, only for the period that proves you’re eligible for settled or pre-settled status.

If you have criminal convictions

If you’re over 18 you’ll be asked about your criminal history in the UK and overseas. You’ll also be checked against the UK’s crime databases.

You may still get settled or pre-settled status even if you do have convictions. This will be judged on a case-by-case basis.

If you’re from outside the EU

You’ll need to provide proof of your relationship to your EU citizen family member (for example, a birth, marriage or civil partnership certificate). You’ll be able to scan and submit this through the online application form. You’ll also need to provide evidence of your family member’s identity and residence.

You’ll need to provide your fingerprints and a photo of your face at an application centre in the UK. You will not need to do this if you already have a biometric residence card.


The fee to apply (subject to approval by Parliament) will be:

  • £65 if you're 16 or over
  • £32.50 if you're under 16

It’ll be free to apply if:

  • you already have valid indefinite leave to remain or a valid permanent residence document
  • you're applying to move from a pre-settled status to a settled status
  • you're a child in a local authority

After you apply

If your application is successful, you’ll be able to get proof of your status through an online service. You will not get a physical document unless you’re from outside the EU and do not already have a biometric residence card.

You will not lose your settled status unless you leave the UK for a period of more than 5 years.

If your application is unsuccessful, you can reapply if you do so by 30 June 2021. You can also appeal the decision if you apply from 30 March 2019.


Further reading:

Information Booklet

How to Apply



Back to Top