Annex I Academic Development Committee
Academic Development Committee is a sub-committee of Academic Board. It is required to report to Academic Board on a termly basis. It also has a responsibility to liaise with other committees and to keep them informed as necessary.
(i) The membership of Academic Development Committee will comprise
An academic member of Executive Board nominated by Executive Board (normally the Pro-Director (Learning & Teaching))
- Interim Deans
- Head of Doctoral School
- Registrar & Secretary (COO)
- Director of Library Services
- All academic Heads of Department
1 academic representative from each Department nominated by that Department (where possible, preference might be given to those with HEA certification)
3 full members of the Students' Union appointed by the Students' Union Executive Committee, one undergraduate student, one postgraduate taught student, and one research student
- Director Governance & Legal Services
- Deputy COO Student and Academic Experience
- Director of Research, Enterprise, Innovation and Partnerships
- Head of IFCELS
- Students' Union General Manager
- Academic Head of Online Learning
- Others by invitation of the Chair
(ii) The Registrar will nominate a Secretary. The Committee will normally hold three ordinary meetings per annum.
(iii) Academic Development Committee will have the following subcommittees:
- Learning & Teaching Quality Committee
- Student Experience Committee
It may delegate activities and authorities to these committees, as appropriate, but retains overall responsibility for these.
(iv) Academic Development Committee will have the following terms of reference.
- To consider strategic planning and policy development matters relating to the School's profile of academic programmes (whether leading to degrees or not), their mode of delivery, partnerships and collaborations, the marketing of these programmes, policy with regard to scholarships and bursaries, student recruitment and widening participation. It also has responsibility for overseeing the maintenance and monitoring of academic standards and quality, and strategic planning and policy development matters relating to the student experience. The committee will make reports and recommendations to Academic Board and other committees where appropriate;
- To oversee the development of a Teaching, Learning and Student Experience Strategy in the context of the School's Vision and Strategy and the School's other sub-strategies;
- To monitor the overall delivery of the Teaching, Learning and Student Experience Strategy and to review them on an annual basis, recommending changes as appropriate;
- To ensure that the Teaching, Learning and Student Experience Strategy contain Performance Indicators and targets and to periodically monitor their delivery;
- To make regular reports to Academic Board regarding the delivery or otherwise of the PIs and targets set in the Teaching, Learning and Student Experience Strategy;
- To make an annual report to Academic Board regarding the overall delivery of the Teaching, Learning and Student Experience Strategy;
- To receive reports and recommendations from its sub-committees, and to make reports and recommendations to Academic Board as appropriate;
- To receive reports from Research & Enterprise Committee in respect of the development and delivery of those areas of the Teaching, Learning and Student Experience Strategy which relate to research degrees, and the quality of the School's provision for research students;
- To recommend to Academic Board changes to academic regulations, including those related to admissions, assessment and progression, and to note changes to related policies, procedures, guidelines and codes of practice approved by Learning & Teaching Quality Committee;
- To monitor the delivery of the School's Access Agreement and to advise the Pro-Director (Learning & Teaching) on proposals being made to Academic Board for its future development.