Standing Orders of the Board of Trustees
These Standing Orders were first issued in July 1997 by the Board of Trustees, under the powers conferred by the then Article V (now Article IV) of the Charter of Incorporation. They have been subject to amendment by Board of Trustees since that date.
I. Board of Trustees
- In furtherance of its overall responsibility for the general supervision, direction and control of the School, the Board of Trustees may override any decision made by any other properly constituted body of the School or any Lay or School Officer.
- The Board of Trustees will elect a Chair, Vice-Chair and Honorary Treasurer for a term of office of four years, re-electable once. The Vice-Chair and Honorary Treasurer must be elected from the membership of the Board of Trustees.
- The Board of Trustees will normally hold ordinary meetings six times per annum. The Registrar and Secretary (COO), the Director of Governance & Legal Services, Deputy COO Resources & Planning and two Heads of Department will be in attendance.
- The Board will hold one informal meeting per annum. This meeting will be held jointly with the Academic Board.
- The Board of Trustees will only amend its Standing Orders and the procedures for the conduct of committee meetings at an ordinary meeting.
- The Board of Trustees will appoint the following Standing Committees and approve their membership and terms of reference:
- The Board of Trustees will appoint the Director of the School and will establish an Appointments Committee for this purpose;
- The Board of Trustees will appoint a Clerk to the Board of Trustees, establishing an Appointments Committee for this purpose. Where the role of Clerk to the Board of Trustees is not performed by the Secretary, it will normally be performed by the Director of Legal and Governance
- The Board of Trustees will appoint Pro-Directors, on the recommendation of the Director, following appropriate internal consultation procedures. The Pro-Directors will normally serve for a period of five years, renewable once for a period of up to five years;
- The Board of Trustees will appoint each year external auditors on the recommendation of Audit Committee;
- The Board of Trustees will keep under review the School's Charter and will approve any changes to the Charter for recommendation to the Privy Council;
- In furthering its overall responsibilities the Board of Trustees will:
- Approve the School's corporate strategic plans and financial forecasts;
- Approve the annual budget and the annual accounts;
- Approve capital projects and other contracts with a total cost exceeding the limit set out in the Budgetary Authorities;
- Approve proposals for the School to raise its sector regulator determined external borrowing limit;
- Approve changes in the allocation of the School's investment funds in excess of £2 million;
- Seek and consider the advice of Academic Board on matters affecting the academic scope and academic structure of the School;
- Approve changes to the academic structure of the School;
- Implement the staffing procedures laid down by the sector regulators and other relevant legislation;
- Provide members to serve on panels to consider final appeals under staff and student grievance and disciplinary procedures;
- Approve the Director’s annual report;
- Approve changes to Standing Orders, such changes to be made only at an ordinary meeting of the Board of Trustees;
- Make arrangements for the delegation of responsibility to the Chair and other Lay and School Officers;
- Make arrangements for the declaration of interests and other governance procedures according to the sector regulator guidelines and standards of good practice recommended by the Committee of University Chairs;
- Execute all other necessary business in the furtherance of the aims of the School;
- Oversee the monitoring of institutional effectiveness;
- Monitor the Schools risk environment and monitor and approve the School's risk register.
- The Board of Trustees will publish on an annual basis the appropriate year’s audited accounts and the Director's annual report. These will be published no later than 31 December each year.
Annexes XVII and XVIII contain information about the Board of Trustees' primary responsibilities and reserved powers.