Annex XII Appointment Procedures for Heads of Department and Associate Deans
All recruitment, selection and appointment processes will be undertaken in a manner which is consistent with the School’s Equal Opportunities Policy and best practice.
Heads of Department
1. Heads of Department will normally serve for a term of four years, renewable once subject to consultation.
2. To fill any vacancy,each Department will select its Head before Reading Week in Term 2. After consulting with the Director, Academic Board will note the outcome.
(a) If a Department is unable to select a new Head of Department, the Director will appoint one from within the department concerned.
3. Heads of Department will be issued with a formal letter of appointment and a list of responsibilities and duties. In carrying out these responsibilities and duties Heads of Department will receive an honorarium.
1. Associate Deans will normally serve for a term of three years, renewable once for a further two years, subject to consultation as detailed below.
2. The Dean will invite applications from members of academic staff.
3. The Dean will consult, in confidence, with senior members of the Faculty, including Heads of Department, concerning the appointment or reappointment of an Associate Dean.
4. If more than one candidate is being considered for a post, interviews will be arranged by the Dean. The interview panel will consist of the Dean plus two senior academics from the Faculty.
5. After this process has been completed, a recommendation will be made to the Pro-Directors. If the Pro-Directors approve the nomination, the Associate Dean will be issued with a formal letter of appointment and the list of responsibilities and duties. Academic Board will note the outcome.
6. In carrying out these responsibilities and duties, Associate Deans will receive an honorarium.