VIII Resources & Planning Committee
Resources & Planning Committee reports to the Board of Trustees.
(i) The membership of the Resources & Planning Committee will comprise
- Chair of the Board of Trustees
- Vice-Chair of the Board of Trustees
- Chair of Estates & IT Governance Development Board
- Registrar & Secretary (COO)
- 3 lay members (at least 1 of whom should be a member of the Board of Trustees)
- 1 member of the Board of Trustees from Academic Board
- 2 members of Academic Board, one of whom should be a Head of Department
- 1 Students' Union Co-President nominated by the Students' Union Executive Committee
(ii) The Deputy COO (Resources & Planning), and the HR Director will be in attendance. Heads of Department will attend as required.The Registrar will nominate a Secretary. The Committee will normally hold three ordinary meetings per annum.
(iii) The Committee will agree from time to time provisions for the delegation of financial authority to the Chair, School Officers and other budget holders.
(iv) Resources & Planning Committee will appoint the following Standing Committees;
Estates & IT Governance Development Board
Human Resources Committee
Resources & Planning Committee will receive reports from these committees on a regular basis, with a minimum of one report being made each session. The terms of reference will provide, inter alia, that these Committees report to Resources & Planning Committee but that they also have a duty to keep Academic Board informed of developments.
(v) Resources & Planning Committee will have the following Panel reporting to it:
Investment Advisory Panel
It may delegate activities and authorities to this Panel, as appropriate, but retains overall responsibility for these.
(vi) Resources & Planning Committee will have the following terms of reference:
- On behalf of the Board of Trustees to monitor the finances of the School and its Faculties and to advise on the financial implications of new proposals, and in particular:
- To recommend the annual budget;
- To approve expenditure proposals within the Committee's delegated authority;
- To examine capital expenditure proposals and make recommendations;
- To recommend financial forecasts;
- To approve financial regulations.
- To review the annual results against budget and to approve the financial statements and report of the Honorary Treasurer, for recommendation to the Board of Trustees;
- To approve banking arrangements;
- To approve investment arrangements;
- To oversee the work of the Estates & IT Governance Development Board and Human Resources Committee;
- To take emergency action on behalf of the Board of Trustees on any matter referred to it by the Chair or Vice-Chair of the Board of Trustees;
- To ensure that Academic Board is informed about the financial affairs of the School;
- To co-ordinate the development of the School's strategic and related plans, and to approve strategies/sub strategies where this responsibility has been delegated from the Board of Trustees. To review and update plans as necessary through the provision of challenging and formal criticism, and to recommend the annual return to the sector regulator. In carrying out this responsibility the Committee may at its discretion co-opt additional members for this purpose only and shall progress any recommendations to Academic Board and the Board of Trustees as appropriate.