Postgraduate Certificates and Diplomas
SOAS, University of London runs a range of non-degree courses. These include:
- Postgraduate Certificate in Advanced Research Skills
- Postgraduate Certificate in Law
- Undergraduate Certificates
- Language Certificates and Teaching Diplomas
- Graduate and Postgraduate Diplomas
- Foundation Diplomas
The following certificates are taught by academic departments at SOAS and they are generally based on undergraduate degree programmes. Please apply for these Certificates using the online application form.
- Ancient Near Eastern Studies Students can only start this certificate in odd years, for example 2021, 2023, 2025
- Arabic Studies
- Certificate in Politics and International Studies
- Modern Hebrew
- Politics and International Studies
- South Asian Studies
- Turkish Studies
The Postgraduate Certificate in Advanced Research Skills is a new programme aimed at anyone wishing to acquire comprehensive training in academic and transferable research methods, either to supplement their PhD studies elsewhere or to upscale their skills in their professional environment.
Postgraduate Certificate in Law offers flexibility to develop your legal skills and knowledge while maintaining your professional and personal commitments. You will benefit from our global research expertise in the laws of Asia, Africa and the Middle East, and in Islamic, international, human rights, commercial and trade, comparative and environmental law.
Diplomas are qualifications in their own right and are taken by students who do not wish to do a full Masters degree.
You can apply for the following courses by using the online application form:
- Postgraduate Diploma in International Studies and Diplomacy. This is run by the Centre for International Studies and Diplomacy (CISD) for those who do not wish to complete the full Masters degree. Please apply using the online application form.
- Graduate Diploma in Economics. This is an ideal conversion programme for those who do not hold an undergraduate degree in Economics but wish to pursue a course of study or career in this field. Teaching will be at an undergraduate level.
Certificate and Diploma in Asian Art
Postgraduate Certificate or Diploma in Asian Art this programme offers a unique opportunity to study the arts of Asia and the Islamic world. Please apply using the Postgraduate Diploma in Asian Art application form.
The following certificates and diplomas are offered by and must be applied for via the Language Centre. The Language Centre also teaches a wide range of languages, which you can study for a shorter period in the evening or on Saturday. Please visit the language centre webpage for a full list.
- Communicative Arabic (full time)
- Communicative Chinese (full time)
- Communicative Japanese (full time)
Please apply directly to the Language Centre for the courses mentioned above. Application and payment forms can be found on the right hand side of each course webpage.
These are designed specifically for students coming from other university systems and who need or would like the opportunity to adjust to the specific requirements of the British system. They include a substantial English-language component. SOAS foundation diplomas are recognised throughout the UK university sector.
- Foundation Diploma for Postgraduate Studies (FDPS). This diploma offered by the IFCELS department integrates courses in relevant subjects such as international relations, media studies, business studies and literature, taught at advanced undergraduate level, with English-language classes designed specifically for the subjects concerned.
You can apply online for Foundation for Postgraduate Studies