SOAS University of London


Fees, Payments, Scholarships and Loans

If this does not answer your query, then please e-mail the Fees Office:
  • How can I pay my fees?
    Information about fees and ways to pay can be found on the Tuition Fees pages. You must quote your six digit SOAS student reference number when making payments.
  • When should I pay my fees?

    Fees must be paid in full for the whole academic year before or at enrolment unless you are self-funded or have an instalment plan agreement.

    If you have any queries related to fees please contact  

  • Can I pay my fees in instalments?

    Yes. A fee payment by instalment option is available to all self-funding students undertaking on-campus degree programmes. 

    For more information visit Paying your tuition fees by instalment.

    If you have taken out a postgraduate loan there is an option to pay your tuition fees in 3 instalments. 

  • Can my fees be waived?

    No, unfortunately, fees cannot be waived. 

  • Can I have a refund if I have paid my fees but do not enrol?

    Applicants who have paid their fees but do not enrol will be eligible for a refund of any tuition fees paid in advance (excluding deposits) minus a £50 administration charge. 

    For full details on the School’s refund policy please see our refund policy page.

  • I have paid my fees, can I have a receipt?

    Receipts can be issued by the Finance Office on request.

    If you have paid your fees by credit or debit card online you will get an email confirmation as a receipt of payment.

    If you have paid your fees before enrolment via bank transfer, e-mail for a receipt. They will need your ID number, the bank's name, the date of payment and amount. 

    For any other queries regarding a payment you have made please contact
  • Do I need an invoice to pay my tuition fees?

    No, you do not need an invoice to pay the tuition fees.

  • I believe my fee status has been assessed incorrectly. Can you please review my status?

    The main criterion for Home fee status is settled residency: 3 years ordinary residence in the UK for purposes other than full-time education. The 3 years is normally the period preceding 1 September before the start of your course. Your fee status will not normally change during your degree. Full details on how your fee status is determined can be found on the UKCISA web-site.

    If you have a query about your fee status, you can complete a Fees Questionnaire: Postgraduate (msword; 82kb)  

    Please return the completed questionnaire along with supporting documentation to 

    If you have been granted indefinite leave to remain, you must submit the relevant pages from your passport or a letter from the Home Office confirming your status. On receipt of the completed questionnaire, and relevant evidence, we will then review the decision on your fee status and you will be informed of the outcome. If you have been working overseas on a temporary contract, you must submit a copy of your contract and the conditions of your employment.

  • Do I need an offer before I can apply for a SOAS scholarship?

    You will need to have submitted an application by the scholarship deadline but not all scholarships require you to have an offer before applying for them. You are advised to contact the scholarships team to obtain further information:

    For more information about Scholarships and funding options please see the Scholarships pages.

  • I need an unconditional offer to apply for a scholarship in my country. Could you please send me an unconditional offer or proof of admission to SOAS?

    We can only provide an unconditional offer once all the entry requirements have been satisfied. 

    If you hold a conditional offer, we can only revise the offer to unconditional once we have received evidence that all the conditions set out in the offer letter have been met. However a conditional offer should be sufficient as proof that you have been offered a place to study at SOAS.

  • What scholarships are available and how can I apply?

    For information about SOAS scholarships and bursaries and how to apply please go to the Scholarships page and refer to the Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I apply for a Professional and Career Development Loan?

    Professional Career Development Loans are private educational loans. 

    For further details about the Career Development Loans including where to send your applications please check CDL further information. Your main contact will be the Student Loans Officer and you can email them at

    Please note that the School cannot advise on these loans but full information is available on the GOV.UK website.

    The SOAS School Learner Provider Number is: 2484. 

  • I am a US Citizen - how do I apply for a US Loan?

    Eligible US Citizens with an unconditional offer for a degree place at SOAS can apply for Federal loans to fund their studies. The full details are on our US Loans page.
    Distance Learning students and Certificate/Diploma students are unfortunately not eligible for Direct loans.

  • Can a sponsor pay my fees?

    If you are being sponsored you will need to bring a confirmation letter from your sponsor with you when you come to enrol or e-mail the confirmation before enrolment to Sponsorship is accepted from a funding body or government organisation. The Sponsorship Confirmation Letter should confirm that the tuition fees will be paid for the relevant academic year and should give the name, address and contact details of the person to be contacted for payment. If your sponsor does not pay, you are responsible for paying your fees.

  • I am applying for a Canadian Loan where can I send my form for completion by SOAS?

    Please send your form to

    Canadian loans are paid directly to you rather than to SOAS. You will be responsible for paying your tuition fees at enrolment.

    Please see the Canadian Loans and Funding web page for further information.

  • How Can I Apply for a Student Finance Postgraduate Loan?

    Loans of up to £10,000 to contribute towards the cost of postgraduate Master’s study will be available for students commencing their degree from 2016/17 onward. The Master’s must be studied full-time or part-time over 2 years. Applicants must be UK nationals normally resident in England or EU nationals normally resident in the EU or England.

    Further information and other eligibility criteria.