How many references are required and what information needs to be included?
We ask for 2 academic references.
Your reference should include an opinion (in English) on your academic and personal suitability for the proposed programme of study.
If you are applying for any MSc Economics programme it is particularly important for the referee to comment on your grasp of basic mathematical and statistical concepts, and microeconomic and macroeconomic concepts.
Furthermore it would be helpful if the reference could discuss:
- ability to pursue your own initiatives
- ability to work alone for short periods
- ability to synthesise material from different sources
- originality in interpretation
- fluency in articulating an argument
- discipline in submitting written work on time
- ability to co-operate in the life and work of the academic community.
- If there is a first degree examination outstanding, some indication of the class of degree you expect to obtain.
How can I submit my references?
- Enter your referee's email address in the relevant section of the online application form.
- Confirm whether you want your referees to submit their references online or by post.
- If you select the online option, your referees will be automatically contacted and will be invited to submit their recommendations online.
- If you do not select the online option, your referees will have to send their recommendations directly to us either via email or to the postal address below.
References sent from a Hotmail/Gmail/Yahoo or similar free-use accounts may not be acceptable. References sent via free-use accounts will need to be on letter headed paper, dated and signed. We may ask to see hard copies of these before assessing your application.
Emailed references must be sent directly by the referee to firstname.lastname@example.org clearly stating your name, the programme applied for and their full contact details. References must sent from the referee's university / work email address.
All references submitted by post must be on letter headed paper, signed and dated as well as being submitted in a signed, sealed envelope.
We do not accept references sent directly by applicants.
Masters Admissions SOAS, Taught Masters Admissions, Room 130, Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square, London WC1H 0XG
I have graduated more than 3 years ago and having difficulties locating my academic tutors. What do I do?
If you have graduated more than 3 years ago you can submit one academic reference and one professional. If you have graduated more than 5 years ago, we can consider two professional references as long as they are relevant to the course you are applying for.
I would like to change my referee details, how can I do so?
If you wish to change the referee details that you have added to your submitted application (such as editing contact details or adding a new referee) then you will need to email email@example.com with the new information. We will then make the changes for you.
If you have not yet submitted your application you can make the changes yourself via your online application account.
Can I provide a personal reference?
We do not accept references from family members or friends. The references submitted must be either academic or professional references.